Thread: Ivy bridge processor is having high temperature

Ivy bridge processor is having high temperature

Hello friends, having Ivy bridge processor on my system and observing this thing from couple of time. Does anyone have observed about it? It is 0.94V during idle mode and when it is full load then it reaches to 1.31V. Getting Temperature: 104 and Tj.Max: 105. Whatever I am getting is correct reading, or it is too high for mine. So please tell me and is there anything which I need to do it. Then please tell me about it. Thank you. Below are image about the processor with help of software’s, so just check and tell me.

Re: Ivy bridge processor is having high temperature

Whatever information you have told and also according to monitoring software which you are using, viewing that it appears to be an Engineering Sample processor (ES). I would like to suggest you that processor of yours is been noticeable as an engineering sample. Which is seem to a pre-production part which scattered to hardware and software manufacturers which allow them to develop products preceding to the opening of a processor. While it is not a production unit, it is not having warranty coverage, and performance of it is not sure. I suggest that you return it from where you have purchase it and ask for refund or a replacement. I even see that you are overclocking the processor, so it is expected to have higher temperatures due to overclocking.

Let me tell you that I never understood what is actually programs like Core Temp come up with these TJ Max figures, whereas in screenshot we are able to view it, I do not think they will be explaining that thing. I think that it will be very much fine with actual TJ Maximum temperature, is that temperature that will shut off the CPU. It is been stored in a special register, and believing that the programmer is reading properly that is it. In previous Intel CPUs in which TJ Max was been set separately for every CPU, which is not a figure for that entire model of Ivy Bridge CPU.

I would like to tell that Tj.max values are been read from the CPU core MSRs or until specification did some changes in target temperatures. Means that it is lowest temperature for Tj.maxx, IOW the real Tj Maxx could be some degrees higher. Even wanted to tell that Tj Max is not the temperature which does not tell hardware CPU shutdown well it is temperature at which the processor is regarded as hot. When this temperature is reached normal CPU hardware response is to initiate throttling to help cool the processor. Actual hardware shutdown temperature will be somewhat e around ~130C. I think that it might be via ACPI, shutdown and throttling are software initiated before hardware initiated. IOW software/FW temperature thresholds may be set lower than hardware thresholds.