Thread: Intel i7 2700K processor showing high temperature

Intel i7 2700K processor showing high temperature

Yesterday bought a new customized system. But the very next moment after I built the system when I tested everything, found that the i7 2700k intel process is going through a very high temperature.
    I am not getting whom should I blame as all of the parts assembled in the machine are brand new.
    • Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN3
    • 16GB Corsair Vengance memory (4x4GB)
    • Intel RTS2011LC thermal solution
    • Processor is overclocked

There are certain more thing but I guess they have nothing to do with the issue but if anyone who is interested can let me know, I would surely post the further details. But for now is there anyone who can make out what exactly is cause this issue?

Re: Intel i7 2700K processor showing high temperature

For your knowledge let me tell you that no matter your processor belongs to which brand and how much new it is, it is guaranteed by the manufacturer that your processor will be definitely working and running under a thermal specification until and unless it is not over clocked above 3.9 GHz.

Once if the process is overclocked over and above it then might be it will run out of specifications. And if the processor runs out of specifications then the manufacturers might not guarantee about it behavior. Just make sure that your processor is not overclocked above the range which I have mentioned.

For your knowledge let me tell you that no matter your processor belongs to which brand and how much new it is, it is guaranteed by the manufacturer that your processor will be definitely working and running under a thermal specification until and unless it is not over clocked above 3.9 GHz.
    My processor overclocked 103x47 ~ 4.8Ghz, the idle temperature is 20 degree with the processor at 103x16 = 1648Mhz. using the Asus Monitor utility when I checked out the temperature, it showed some 87 deg C when running the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. I am running windows 7 64bit.

Is it that everything is happening due to overclocking, do I need to downclock the processor below 3.9 GHz? My processor seems to be throttling by decrease in the frequency as the multiplier goes down to 44. I am very much concerned about the processor as the cooling radiator gets only luke warm and not get heated up too much, in fact also the pump doesn’t get hot. Why is it so that when I try to feel the heat, it actually doesn’t seem to be that hot as shown in the temperature report? Why is it that the radiator and the pump are not hot when the temperature is showed at 87 degree.

Is it that everything is happening due to overclocking, do I need to downclock the processor below 3.9 GHz? My processor seems to be throttling by decrease in the frequency as the multiplier goes down to 44. I am very much concerned about the processor as the cooling radiator gets only luke warm and not get heated up too much, in fact also the pump doesn’t get hot. Why is it so that when I try to feel the heat, it actually doesn’t seem to be that hot as shown in the temperature report? Why is it that the radiator and the pump are not hot when the temperature is showed at 87 degree.
    If you have a serious heating issue, probably I can get you a solution for it. If your processor is shown with a high temperature in several reports and testing which is actually not the fact you can try out the latest BIOS.

Make sure that you install the latest BIOS version for your mother. Once you install the BIOS, using that BIOS make sure that your motherboard is being detecting the correct processor temperature.

Do the following thing and let me know the results:
    • Run the Intel Tool and determine the temperature test
    • Also if possible just dismount the Pump and then reinstall it using a new TIM

I personally do not thing that there might be anything wrong with the pump installation if the TIM has spread evenly all over the processor face. For a proper positive result you are stricktly supposed to use the TIM provided by Intel with cooling package.

Hey I did all the possible tests. I am sure that my motherboard temperature detection program runs accurately and fine. For your information, i used several other test tools for the testing purpose including the Intel tool but you know with that entire test I get the same result.

And with the BIOS, let me tell you that I actually cant do anything with the BIOS as I cannot found any version other than the one which I have for the board. Now I guess the only possible thing I can notice is overclock settings as almost all others are tested, however I must admit that recently I found a parameter and also I got the same speed but with a least core voltage.

But for me it seems to be a trick as the maximum temperature I get is some around 70 degree.

The first thing I would like to suggest you is to contact the motherboard support center and ask them regarding the possible errors with the temperature readings.

As far as I am concerned, I know that the temperatures are generally depending upon the cooling system. Operating the voltage will definitely make a huge difference with the amount of power consumed, so better you try to reduce your voltage which will surely help you a lot in getting rid of the issue.

I do agree with you; if you are having a AI-Suite in order to measure the CPU temperature, make sure that the reading you get is not a core DTS temperature instead it is a fixed offset from DTS. Therefore if the reading of 87°C is actually been 97°C-98°C so maybe you temperature is showing ~10C below core temperature.

Not sure with the Luke warm issue, suppose if your water is at 35 degree and if the cooling solution provides thermal resistance of 0.2 c/w whereas the TIM give 0.1c/w so the and core to IHS thermal resistance will give 0.2°C/W. while you try to operate at 100W the base of the cooler would be definitely 55 degree c and the temperature at the IHS would be the base plus TIM loss 65 degree c.

Now if your TIM is somewhat improved to 0.02C/W, this would surely result in 2C at 100W which would again result in 8C lower core temperature if a better cooler were used.

I do have the same issue the temperature seems to be bit high. I do have almost similar system with Asus P8Z68-V motherboard and an i7 2700k processor without being overclocked. Other than the similar specification instead of running a Stock cooler I am running a after mark cooler.

My case is Antec 900. The reason I mentioned about my case is because I just wanted to let you know that I am using an open case so therefore there is no chance of my case being one of the reason for my issue. My temperature at idle is 25C. The most interesting thing is that I can notice the overheating or high temperature issue only when I run Microsoft office 2007. I know it sounds quite funny but that’s the fact which I cannot deny. Tried everything but the same behavior is noticed, already installed extra additional fans for the processor but still the temperature is high.

Ok, so in your case you are not facing any kind of overheating due to any of the activity rather than using Microsoft office 2007, indeed it sounds quite strange to me.

Anyways as already been suggested to other people even you could be suggested to install the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, also if possible make sure that the fan and the heatsink of your processor is properly placed and it is in a good working condition, if have any doubts just remove it and reinstall.

Also if possible try to test the processor in some other working and compatible motherboard, to see whether it cause the same problem.