Thread: MSI X79 GD65 8D CPU fan not working properly

MSI X79 GD65 8D CPU fan not working properly

I have recently bought a new system and things were working fine by now but then today it has started freezing and it happened 4 time in a period of 3 hours, later I checked out something as suggested on some forums and I found that the CPU fan is not able to speed up even when the temperature keeps on rising, this is what I have found in smart fan target settings
    • CPU Smart fan Target: 40°
    • CPU Min. Fan Speed: 25%

As far as I know the cpu fan speed should be more than 30 say between 30 and 40 but then I am not very sure about the same, I want to solve out the freezing issue and I think that the CPU Fan is the culprit, is there anyone who can help me out in dealing with this issue???

Re: MSI X79 GD65 8D CPU fan not working properly

I Don’t think that the temperature that you have mentioned is too high to freeze the system, I think that there is something else that might be causing the issue, anyways I just want to know the complete specification of your system so I can have better idea of the issue that you are facing and will try to help you with the same, so just port it here for further help.

My system specification is as followed:
    • Motherboard - MSI x79 GD65 8D FRIO ADVANCED - MS7760
    • CPU - Intel Core i7 3820 3,6Ghz
    • CPU - MSI Geforce GTX560 TI 448 1.3GB TF III Power OC
    • RAM - CORSAIR 16GB (4 x 4GB) Vengeance Blue CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
    • PSU - COOLERMASTER Silent Pro 850W

I think that you are right, I mean that I have just now turned the CPUfan up to 100% and the temp does not seems to be crossing 50° but then what might be other possible cause of this issue???

I think that you should better memtest your ram over night and if you want then you can use prime95 as well for getting better and faster result. Just try it out and the post backs the result that you get.

I was just looking out after a solution for the issue and I have just found this:
    Frio Advanced
    I am having an intel cpu just like the eight image in the above link where it appears as if I have to connect 4-pin wire to the motherboard’s CPU fan connector where as I have crossed checked out the same in my case and I have found that the frio advanced is just having 2 4pin wires from which one is going to the SYSfan2 where as the other to CPUfan, is this the issue in my case????

I have checked out the same and it appears as if the CPU is not fully supported until v1.5, I will suggest you to stop using LU5 and better flash both A and B chips and use a USB flasher for the same. Other than this I will suggest you to better contact the MSI Tech Support with the serial number of the CPU and find what version was shipped on the mainboard if at all you are not able to find out the same by checking UEFI/BIOS.As I have said that the CPU is not fully supported, you can just take it to a pc so that they can just flash the version that supports the 3820.I think that this is the only option left for you for now.

I did not got you, what have said for the v1.5 of LU5 or bios? Other thing I wanted to tell is that won’t be taking the risk of flashing as it appears to be quite risky, anyways just wanted to know that for what you are suggesting me the flashing solution??? I mean is it for fixing out the freezing issue or for auto-adjustment of CPU fan speed???? I have checked out the prime95 and test seems to be ok and I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the RAM and CPU now but then I wanted to share that the GPU in my case is not supported by the motherboard as far as the BIOS version is concerned, so is there possibilities that it can cause this issue as well???? Any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.

It would have been possible with Gen3 PCI-E 3.0 VGA but then I don’t think that it will matter with Gen2 PCI-E 2.0 VGA's as the Gen3 VGA is involved more in to CPU, chipset and hardware like PCI-E slots of the mainboard rather than UEFI/BIOS. If you want then you can try out flashing your current bios version to the latest one, you can just get it from the below link.
    X79A-GD65 (8D) BIOS
    Just try it out and then let me know if it is making any difference in your case or not.

I think that you have made the topic confusing as I have checked about the same and your CPU PWM fan connector should be either 4 pin or a 3 pin and if it is a 4 pin then you should not have any issues in connecting it to the 4 pin MB CPU Fan, just go through the below link and check it out:
    Desktop Boards 3-pin and 4-pin fan connectors