Thread: How to configure crossfire on MSI 880GMA-E35 (FX)

How to configure crossfire on MSI 880GMA-E35 (FX)

Right now I am using a brand new MSI 880GMA-E35 (FX) on my system and now I would like to do crossfire with dual ASus ati 6950 graphics card. However there is no option in the bios which will enable this. I could not able to find anything regarding the crossfire there. Could you help me?

Re: How to configure crossfire on MSI 880GMA-E35 (FX)

As far as I know that the Crossfire is operating system and driver dependent. You will not get any kind of settings in the BIOS unless the Graphics card or driver specifies a menu in the BIOS for crossfire settings. Even if you change the setting in Windows, it will not going to change anything on the BIOS.

If you are using a ATI graphics card, you will get options and control panel for crossfire settings when you install drivers and supported components for that. No third party software will allow you to configure Crossfire on Graphics card or motherboard. Also third party apps will not make any effect on BIOS settings since it is restricted from the MSI side.

Did you get any cables with your motherboard to connect to the graphics card?

Did you get SLI or CrossFire bridges with your motherboard?

Cables and bridges are two different things. MSI mostly prefer HydraLogix multi-GPU control as its users more than proprietary SLI and CrossFire. If you get bridges, then you can do crossfire or SLI but if you have got cables, it will only support HydraLogix multi-GPU control. Also i think that you will need latest version of AMD catalyst drivers in order to configure crossfire for ATI cards on any motherboard and also one more thing you have to make sure that the motherboard should have support for Crossfire technology on its PCI lanes or slots. Without this you cannot do crossfire.

I don’t think that you motherboard supports the Crossfire technology. Did you check it in the manual or manufacturer’s website? If yes, then I assume that it is only possible with the latest version of UEFI BIOS.

The manufacturer MSI has just introduced the first motherboard based on Intel P965 chipset supports CrossFire Technology. So far, only motherboards based on Intel 975X chipset could support two ATI graphics cards in Crossfire. Each card is recognized in PCI Express 8x. The motherboard MSI P965 Platinum offer even a different system since a card will be PCI Express x16 and one x4 PCI Express in what should amputate the performance slightly.

You can install 2 Nvidia cards on a "Crossfire" running board - also known as SLI motherboard. However, this is not possible without some effort. If you want no SLI, but the PhysX card as a calculator, you can use the card into an available PCI Express slot and insert the card in the Nvidia driver to choose as PhysX accelerator. Much more important is your power supply and whether it has enough power to operate the 2x GTX460.