Thread: MSI 880GM-E41 motherboard disk does not have sound setup

MSI 880GM-E41 motherboard disk does not have sound setup

My system with following configuration is under discussion now with a slight issue.
    • AMD Athlon II x3 3.2 Ghz
    • MSI 880GM-E41
    • Kingston DDR3 2x2Gb
    • Maxtor 100G HD
    • Logisys 480w PSU

I have got a motherboard CD from the MSI and while reading it from the drive, I have seen that several things are greyed out. I can configure the LAN communication and get the video drivers but there is no way I can install the drivers for Audio. The option is completely greyed out. Does anyone know how?

Re: MSI 880GM-E41 motherboard disk does not have sound setup

What audio devices you are using?

Is it the integrated audio drives which you want to install?

If you cannot install them from the setup disk or the motherboard disk, you can install them directly from other sources like from the MSI website and from other disk. You just need to find a compatible version driver for your motherboard and download it your computer. Now launch the device manager. The audio devices might be marked yellow now. You can then manually install or update the driver from there.

Are you using the dedicated sound card? If so, then you have to find the drivers from the manufacturer’s website. These drivers will not be available on the MSI site or the setup disk. The options greyed out means those drivers are already installed in your computer.

I am also using the same model motherboard from MSI. With every motherboard you will get a unique setup disk which contains drivers and other components needed for your system to run. The CD is dependent to your motherboard only but in rare situation they are compatible with other motherboard of same manufacturer also. I have configured the motherboard with all other components and powered up. Install the Windows 7 using the genuine installation CD. Now System asks for motherboard CD. I put it in and loaded. The installation wizard starts automatically and CD started to install drivers one by one. The system was rebooting everytime. During the next reboot, the first installed driver icon was disabling or graying out. Now i have only those which are left for installation and I can install them whenever I want.

It seems to me that the motherboard disk could not able to find the audio components in your computer and due to this they were disabled to avoid installation. Otherwise I can simply assume that the Audio drivers were previously installed with Windows installation and system grayed out Audio option is setup disk simply to prevent conflict with previously installed drivers.

Are you sure that you have got the proper CD with the motherboard? It looks like you have got the wrong CD for the motherboard. You can check it easily comparing with other package from the retailer. It might have happened during the packaging.