Thread: UEFI BIOS on MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard

UEFI BIOS on MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard

MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard now got an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition. Other things are installed from the additional PC. The MSI manual says that 990FXA-GD has UEFI Bios? Is there a update for this BIOS? I do overclock my computer and I want to configure dual Crossfire in my system. So do you think that PCI slot will allow it? I really like the options in my current Bios. Do you think that UEFI Bios is a good choice for should I need to update it further? In future I am thinking about buying an AM3+ CPU as well.

Re: UEFI BIOS on MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard

The technology behind the BIOS is almost unchanged over the past 30 years, inheriting many of the inherent limitations of this system to manage the boot of the car. In recent years, with the introduction of 64bit architecture and hard drives with capacities greater than 2TB, some manufacturers, including MSI, have pushed to introduce support UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). Unlike common BIOS, UEFI may carry on the complex and, in an architecture that fully supports EFI, can integrate the management systems of devices passing this information directly from the OS.

As far as I know that the MSI has implemented AMI Aptio Coded UEFI on this motherboard since the beginning. I think that so far, each and every UEFI Versions, BETA or Final, are based on AMI Aptio/UEFI Code. You will not see any old AMIBIOS8 coded BIOS-implementations supported for this board. You will get only the latest UEFI.

The current hardware ecosystem is not yet ready for this momentous change, so it was decided to adopt a solution that also integrates support for BIOS Legacy, offering the advantages of both worlds. The implementation of MSI support allows the hard disk with a capacity over 3TB, use the mouse to set the parameters of the motherboard and access to an EFI shell to give commands to the system, even without the operating system launched. To use Disk 3TB you must use 64bit operating system.

By seeing at the user interface it seems that the graphics of UEFI MSI is a hybrid between the one chosen by ASUS and Gigabyte, ASUS has opted for a fully graphical, Gigabyte has actually preserved the traditional textual format, however MSI introduced to support the use of the mouse on an interface that does not deviate much from the typical text, to the advantage of familiar commands.

I have heard that before any final version of UEFI/BIOS Release on the motherboard manufacturer’s website, you will need number of BETA Versions available to download. The latest final version is completely depends the last Beta release. There will not be any direct release. This is a development chain which you can see for UEFI/BIOS.

Compared with traditional BIOS, the EFI BIOS appear to be less reactive. Then a period of adaptation is required to be comfortable with new ways to use the motherboard's configuration screens. For now, users who use the BIOS is still very small numbers but, in this regard, we must remember that most operations can be performed when system is started, using the many utility provisions made by the producers. Among other integrated functions MSI M-Flash enables you to upgrade and restore the BIOS from a USB stick, without the need to include in the warranty card because of wrong flash BIOS. You also can backup and restore the current BIOS on a USB stick and boot from it if necessary.

After I assembled everything and everything is going, I wanted to flash the BIOS to a newer version. So I downloaded the MSI tool and done everything according to the instructions. After the USB stick is now set up and I start the computer, I press F11 and go to the boot manager there, select the USB stick. Then, data from a USB flash drive loaded and the menu comes from the memory, etc. can be tested. I went to flash briefly and then he invites UDN estates notification as BIOS data is corrupt. Could not read that fast. I have been an extra in the Beta Bios section and tried it with the normal. Somehow there but nothing works. Maybe I can have any of you help.