Thread: BIOS reading different CPU Speed

BIOS reading different CPU Speed

From yesterday my Windows 7 PC is acting strange. The performance become slow now and also the boot up process. I can notice it barely in all Windows apps. DVD Rom drive clicking and video channel through HDMI is failing. Even I cannot boot the system from the disc. To resolve this issue I tried clearing CMOS and loaded Optimized Defaults. Now Windows was faster. I rebooted again and all seemed fine. AMD Overdrive showed my AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad Core at 3000 MHz. Even the individual core speed at roughly the same speed. Today morning again the system become slow and AMD OD showed CPU speed at 3000 MHz but each core at a current speed of only 800 MHz. How could be that?

Re: BIOS reading different CPU Speed

You need to check components one by one. First start disconnection the PSU from A/C power to properly. Now clear the CMOS. Now test with only one memory module at a time and load "Optimized Defaults" in BIOS Setup upon restart. I hope that you have the latest BIOS and the PSU is enough to power up all components. Then you must get into the BIOS, look for yourself where it says CPU Frequency and put in 100, must be in 66, put in 100 and then you look for the frequency multiplier of the CPU, put in 10x, which should give you 1000mhz. This should be your current speed processor but keep in mind that if after accepting the changes, save it and restart the computer and see it does not start.

You should get the latest BIOS for your PC. I have a feeling that your motherboard with that processor is not properly supported. Normally, it would automatically overclock. And the 200 MHz (reference clock) is usually changed only when you want to overclock your computer. You should leave it if you are not familiar with that.

As far as I know that No AM2 motherboards support dual power planes for the chips you mentioned, none of them are supported natively. This is working on BIOS updates for AM2 boards that will include the microcode and the AGESA for the newer chips Sun they are 'recognized' by the older boards. The main challenge though is getting the motherboard to not revert to safe mode (4x multiplier / 800MHz speeds.)

It could also be that Windows will detect the speed, due to energy saving ... Put a task to pull enough of Cpu and see if its frequency increases. 800 MHz is the speed of repose when C & Q is enabled. As you observe the speed put to compress a large file or folder and see if the speed varies.