Thread: Unable to boot with just DRam light but no CPU led

Unable to boot with just DRam light but no CPU led

It seems like this issue is now a days very much common, but the strange thing is that I have not yet found any kind of solution for the same. I have noticed every time that whenever inserts the Ram in the slot the Dram led lights and a beep sound comes out with no speaker. I am completely unable to reboot the system. I however tried pressing the memok and then restarted the system but no such big change. I am damn sure that the issue is with the Ram and nothing else. But couldn’t make out where exactly the issue lies. Can anyone help me out with this issue? I will mention my system setup:

• CPU - i7 950
    • Motherboard - sabertooth x58
    • PSU - corsair cx600
    • RAM- Kingston ram (2x4gb)

Re: Unable to boot with just DRam light but no CPU led

Have the same issue with the same system configuration. And I strongly believe that the issue is with the motherboard i.e. sabertooth x58 mobo. The most interesting thing is that I face the exact same issue whenever I insert the RAM and press the memok the dram led blinks and beeps, but when I take out the Ram it shows both the lights. Let me tell you that I am using the same Kingston Ram but they are 2 in number each of 4GB.

I have also tried to interchanging the Ram in with their slots and vice versa but then too nothing happened. Whenever I press the memOK, the system restart and just show the Dram light that beeps with the Ram signal and no CPU is available. I have also read somewhere that the i7 950 processor is capable of in taking the highest of 1066 Mhz ram but I noticed that when I set the Ram at 1000.

Better you try out running you system with just one Ram stick installed, because I did the same and figured that it was the best solution I ever got. When I had this issue what I actually did was first reset the cmos then installed the first Ram stick then I press the memOK and later on the CPU light went off but the Dram light was still on. Again later I tried the complete procedure with both the sticks, resetting the cmos, pressed the memOK but then still both the lights were started restarting. Ultimately I only installed the 2nd Ram stick and interestingly both the lights were on. I still don’t have any idea what could be the main cause of the issue but I strongly believe that the issue could be with the bad set of Ram sticks which I have received. I personally feel so because when I tried installing only the 1st Ram the system won’t start up but then when installed only the 2nd Ram it worked.

I think multiple people facing the same issue but with different cause. Yeah I too had this issue and also solved it like a slice of cake. Actually I was trying out the above tricks believing that even my system would run after all. But then while doing the R&Ds I noticed that I had a hard drive plugged in. and when I unplugged the hard drive suddenly both the lights were on and in fact they stayed on forever, just for the sake of convenience I repeated the step and the system ran properly.
    Other than all this things at last I pressed the memok without having the hard drive no negative issues the system was on with both CPU and Dram lights on, for your kind information let me tell you that initially the system use to get restarted again whenever I use to press the memOK.

Mine is fine with no such issue except only one thing, whenever I go on to install or add a video card on my machine I can see both the lights blinking and then when I take off the video card Dram light shows up. Some people say that this is a power supply issue, but when I checked the power supply everything was fine. I personally think that there may be something got defected near around the CPU. Should I reinstall the CPU, I strongly believe that there are some defective thing like bend pins in the CPU socket. Please help me out.

Yeah you are right, carry on with the activities of testing. I guess the issue could be exactly what you are thinking. The first thing is that just reinstall the CPU and then check out for the bent pins as you said. But then along with that also try to check out the power cables, and make sure that the power cables are properly connected to the motherboard.

Also test the board taking out of the case. I mean to say that you better try to run the machine by taking the motherboard out of the case box, and also make sure that you place the board on a non conducting surface in order to avoid accident. If possible take every single thing out of the case and try to run the system. Maybe you motherboard needs a new BIOS in order to accept the Ram.

As I clearly mentioned earlier that I have a Kingston Ram, when I checked the compatibility of my Kingston Ram with my motherboard from the kingston’s official site I found that my model number was not listed in it. When checked properly i noticed that KHX1600C9D3K2/8G Ram was supportable where as KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX was not. And interestingly I have bought KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX. If you check both the model you could slightly see any difference. Yes, there’s only X missing from the one which I am having. Now I doubt on my Ram just because of the missing X, could this be the issue. Right now thinking to borrow a Ram stick from anyone and try out for a new testing. Hope so this time it works magically.

I think multiple people facing the same issue but with different cause.
    My friend you are right, anyone reading this thread would feel the same thing. But ultimately the issue lies in the system itself so nobody has to worry about anything. I personally feel that the main culprit could be the Ram, CPU or the motherboard. But you can be sure and specific with the cause only if you swap the parts and try out. Amongst all swapping the Ram stick is the most preferable one. Once if you try to return your Ram and purchase a guaranteed compatible Ram and triple channel maybe things would work.