Thread: Virtualization of Core i5 vs Core i7

Virtualization of Core i5 vs Core i7

I want to get a new laptop very soon. The main purpose of buying new laptop is to use vmware or hyper-v in order to run server 2008 and/or some W7 workstations. For this which processor works best in virtualization? Should I go for Core i7 or i5 now?

Re: Virtualization of Core i5 vs Core i7

Intel, the new generation of its vPro business platform presented. The platform consists of Core i5 and Core i7 processors in combination with the Q57 Express chipset and needs better management and security capabilities. The last year's Core i family includes all the functionality that is designed especially for business applications, including support for virtualization. Intel now has some new features added to the Core i5 vPro and vPro Core i7

As far as I know that the VMWare should give you a option to set the processors for each VM. I am currently using VM at my workplace and I have configured all my processes to only one CPU. When I run more than one VM's at the same time, I can see the difference processing power. I am on Core 2 Duo and when running multiple VMs, I am not getting enough CPU power. i am looking forward for Ivybridge now.

Everything is completely on the basis of what you are virtualizing and how. As far as I know that All models of i7 and i5 processors have vtx (virtualization) integrated inside the processor. By the help of this you can run multiple OS's or whatever in VMware. However if you are looking forward to run vmware workstation, in that case you will need more than Intel’s VTX. I think you should go for i5.

The Intel Core i7, i5, and i3 have Hyper-Threading (simultaneous multi-threading, SMT) inherited from the Pentium 4. It is undoubtedly aimed at a more advanced Hyper-Threading, which is much more efficient. With Hyper-Threading each core also has a physical or virtual logical core. The operating system detects twice as many cores as are physically present.

VT-d is an extension of virtualization capabilities. It increases I / O throughput of virtual machines and allows, for example, the passing through of expansion cards to the guests. In principle, one can emulate virtualization completely in software. However, with additional virtualization commands and with the support of the processor virtualization environments running much faster and more stable.

There are a number of virtualization technologies that must work together to fetch you the best performance from the VMs.

With Intel VT-c, d-VT, VT-d 2, VT-x.

Depending on what you really want to use and need, so it's very important that you respect above all on the chipset and its features.

The CPU is in any case only a part in that chain. Because multiple VMs also produce more of the load, I would probably prefer the 920s. It has a bit more memory bandwidth, which could then pay off.

The i5 do not have Hyper-Threading and in my opinion are therefore less suitable for virtualization as an i7-8xx, 9xx, or i7. Depends ultimately depends on how many VMs running. If only two run anyway, and provide the host system only when the VM is the VM would work just really load and produce, then probably sufficient from an i5 to its computing power.