Thread: How to Reset SCF Password PrimePower 250

How to Reset SCF Password PrimePower 250

I have bought a second hand PrimePower 250 and the first owner was not having XSCF password or OS root password and now as per the documentation there is a need to log into the OS and then reset the SCF login from the Machine Administration Menu but then I am not able to do so, is there a way by which I can Reset SCF Password from outside of the OS?

Re: How to Reset SCF Password PrimePower 250

I have bought a second hand PrimePower 250 and the first owner was not having XSCF password or OS root password and now as per the documentation there is a need to log into the OS and then reset the SCF login from the Machine Administration Menu but then I am not able to do so, is there a way by which I can Reset SCF Password from outside of the OS?
    I don’t think that there is any way of resetting XSCF password from outside the os and so rather than from the Machine Administration menu, anyways I just wanted to know that are you able to see the OS console output on the serial ttyA? If you are able to see it then try booting from a Solaris DVD into Single User mode and after that just mount the disk of the original OS and then try to clear the root password and see if it is helping.

I was going to suggest you the same, see if you can try out the above solution if you are able to see the OS console output on the serial ttyA but then if not then there are possibilities that the serial port might have been switched to "LAN Console" through some sort of settings that will be in the XSCF, so here I wanted to ask that are you aware of the IP of the XSCF/ If you do then you can try to "telnet" to that IP and then you will be able to get the console of the OS ad after that you can follow the procedure that has been mentioned by the above user.

Juts to help if the OS console might have been set to "LAN Console" and you are not aware of the XSCF IP then you can just go through the below method to switched back the OS console to the serial port. Make sure that you are performing the steps in the same manner:
    • First turn off the PrimePower 250 and then just set the little switch to the middle position which will be on the front panel, I am not very sure but then it might be named with unlock.
    • After that press and hold the Power Button for more than 10 second and while this the green and orange LEDs will be blinking for a number of times.
    • So after 10 seconds release the Power Button and the turn on the machine and now the OS console should be at the serial port and after that you can just do the same method that has been mentioned above by the first member answering this post.

I have tried out the same and it seems to have helped and now the console is having access over the SCF serial console but then the other issue here is that I am not having any password and that is why I am not allowed to go in to the single user mode in Solaris, I have tried booting form the console but then I am getting an error message saying "can't boot -- illegal memory." I don’t have any idea about the same, is there anything that I can do about it??