Thread: Does 3TB SATA II HDD compatible on MSI K9N Neo (PCB 1.0) motherboard

Does 3TB SATA II HDD compatible on MSI K9N Neo (PCB 1.0) motherboard

Does anyone know whether the MSI K9N Neo v1.0 supports 3 TB HDD on SATA II or not? I don’t know how to check the compatibility and I didn’t get any source where I can check. There is no information about this compatibility.

However does SATA 2 is compatible with SATA 3?

Re: Does 3TB SATA II HDD compatible on MSI K9N Neo (PCB 1.0) motherboard

If you are looking forward to use the 3TB HDD only as a data drive and not the boot drive, then your os and motherboard drivers may be able to support this. Don’t worry about BIOS support. The BIOS support usually needed when you want to make it as boot drive. Right now I know about 2 ways where HDD manufacturers circumvent the 2TiB limit.
    • Seagate uses DiscWizard. It is an OEM version of Acronis Disk Director. This wizard will emulate 2 physical drives
    • Hitachi gets with a GPT Disk Manager

Yes, it is true that these standards are backward compatible. You can use SATA III drive into a SATA II by the use of proper connector. But there the drawback is you will not get throughput which is meant for SATA II. It is always limited here and you will notice slowest bus speed. The speed will be acknowledged by the motherboard controller.

The good feature of SATA III is, it is backward compatible with previous SATA versions. You will get the performance difference and nothing else. If the motherboard only has SATA II, then it will only support SATA II bandwidth even if you connect the SATA III compatible device. You will see the performance increment only with SSD.

AS far as I can say that there is no reason that the interface speed bottlenecks the HDD performance. It is not important in this case but you need to look for the other factors like internal transfer rate, head seek time, and rotation latency. The SATA III is most beneficial with SSD's now and other driver will not get all the benefit of this new standard due to some mechanical limitations of the HDD.