Thread: Is there a need to Upgrade RAM for Intel 865G ICH5

sad Is there a need to Upgrade RAM for Intel 865G ICH5

I have somehow done with the formatting of the Hard Drive and I have noticed the performance of the my system and I have done some changes. I have also un-installed the Internet Explorer and installed the Google Chrome as the Internet Explorer was making the performance of my system low. My friends have installed the game called “Minecraft” in my system which is affecting my CPU I suppose. I want to ask you that do I have to upgrade the RAM for my motherboard so that it will increase the performance level of my system? Will the DDR3 RAM will solve this problem? Sorry for the long explanation but I don’t have any knowledge about this? Any suggestions would be appreciated

smile Re: Is there a need to Upgrade RAM for Intel 865G ICH5

I have gone through your query. It would be easy for me if you would give your all the system specifications of your computer. This will help me in giving the correct solution to you since I only see the CPU in your title and query. Thank you.

question Re: Is there a need to Upgrade RAM for Intel 865G ICH5

Quote Originally Posted by ADELYN View Post
    I have gone through your query. It would be easy for me if you would give your all the system specifications of your computer. This will help me in giving the correct solution to you since I only see the CPU in your title and query. Thank you.
    Here are the System Specifications of my Computer:

• CPU: Intel 865G ICH5 with 2.8GHz processor
    • RAM: DDR having 256MB
    • Operating System: Windows 2000
    • Hard Disk: 120 GB

Will the DDR3 RAM would be able to fit for my MotherBoard? Thank You

idea Re: Is there a need to Upgrade RAM for Intel 865G ICH5

I have gone through your system specs and I think that the CPU and the RAM that you are using for your system are found to be good to run this game. I am sorry to say you that you will not be able to attach a DDR3 or a DDR2 type of the module RAM in your Motherboard which is having the memory type of the DDR RAM. I too think that if the Minecraft is working well with your system then there is nothing to worry about the Memory and Mobo. You must also check that some of the processes in the Task Manager that are not useful should be closed and the processes that work in the background such as the video, media, music causes the system to eat more memory and also increases the CPU usage.

star Re: Is there a need to Upgrade RAM for Intel 865G ICH5

I think you must do the upgrade of the RAM because I have seen the system requirements of the Minecraft game and by observing that I would say your system specifications are the minimum. But you will not be able to apply the DDR3 or DDR3 RAM in your motherboard since our Mobo supports DDR only. If you are running the email applications on your computer then you should close that applications while playing this game. Also if the game is working well then what is better than that. The background process causes the CPU to go to the lower rate and this affects the performance of the system. For example In the Celeron Computer if multiple programs are running one at a time then the RAM will be use full of its memory causing the PC to turn slower. S, I would tell you that you should close down the background process before the game starts if you wish that you don’t want to change the RAM.

Also the Game called the Minecraft is fully a java based and it will make the full usage of the cpu in your system. If you wish to add a new Memory to your Mobo then you should consider that you have to select the same frequency of the RAM that you are using now9i.e of the 400 MHz. If you select the higher module then this older RAM would be unable to work on your system. If you wish to have a DDR3 RAM then you can do this but, again for that you have to chane the CPU too since your CPU does not support the DDR3 Memory Type. All this would cost you more. My opinion is that you should make the use of the 512 MB RAM would be the best option for if you are managing to close the background unused apps. I have the 512 MB RAM since long time for my system and even today I am using it for the Internet use too and its working awesome.

question Re: Is there a need to Upgrade RAM for Intel 865G ICH5

I have also checked that all the apps are closed while playing the game but still the game is not able to play in a full performance that I want. When I checked the Task Manager it was also showing that all the resources are being fully utilized by the system. By observing this I have a doubt that there is something another problem in my system which is causing the CPU level to use too much. Sometime the System shows that it is running the different types of the non-usable process which are eating the memory of the system casing the performance to go down.

star Re: Is there a need to Upgrade RAM for Intel 865G ICH5

I think then you should really look for an upgrade of your PC might be to a 2Gb of RAM and Pentium 4 Processor. Also make a last try that you would be able to make a clean install of your Operating System because sometimes the clean install fix the problem. Also then if you are looking for to upgrade your PC then you must go with the Pentium 4 Processor along with the Front Side Bus Frequency of the 800MHz that would be having the clock rate up to 3 Ghz. This will be the best for you. Thank You.