Thread: Intel core i5 2500k overheating

Intel core i5 2500k overheating

I built a new system recently especially to play some of my favorite games like World of WarCraft. I have noticed that my system temperature varies with the task I perform in the system. I normally get around 35 to 40 degrees when the system is at stand by, around 65c in BIOS. And at the time I play the game World of Warcraft the temperature rises to 60-85 degree. Now my question is why exactly I am getting these variations with my system at every different task I perform. Is this a common function which I am noticing or else my system is facing some problem. The only thing for me to worry is the rise in the temperature whenever I play that game. Please suggest me some solution.

Re: Intel core i5 2500k overheating

These variations in temperature in the same system is bound is to seen so you need not have to worry but even if you doubt your system then I would suggest you to go for testing your system under temperature check i.e. Prime95 test, with this you can easily get to know the approximate temperature your processor tends to generate at a limited amount of time. If the temperature goes above the level which you get when you play World of Warcraft, then definitely you can take this as an issue.

If yours is an issue then surely I am also facing the same problem. But I bought the new system not only to play games but also to do other tasks and activities.

But I think that, my problem could be due to the fans which are fixed inside the cabinet. I have one intake fan on the front side and also there is no exhaust fan at the rear side. I am also using a stock heatsink, I am sure that all the pins were fixed towards the down side completely when I installed it.

Ok, so having no exhaust fans could be the issue with you system. Try to note down the temperature with the side off the case, I mean to say that open up your case and try to get the heating result. If this results lesser temperature then make sure that you get a new exhaust fan fixed up in your cabinet. Hope this suggestion will definitely help you out.

Well but in my case I already have an exhaust fan installed in the case. But still don’t understand the reason behind the variation in the temperature. As suggested me I tried the prime95 test twice and the results were the same, I got the temperature of about 90 degree within just 1 minute. Both the time the result didn’t even vary with 1 degree, got the same exact result.

I also tried to note down the temperature by taking off the side case, I kept the system as it is without the case at least till 2 hours. And after switching on the system I got the idle temperature of around 30 to 34 degree. Are the temperatures which I mentioned above are normal?

I personally feel that the heatsink is the main cause for the problem. Remember to check the temperature of your GPU and HDD with respect to the CPU, like in my case I am currently having a temperature of 35 degree on CPU and 32 degree in GPU/HDD idling. There should be no such case where your CPU temperature is rising higher than your GPU and HDD.

While fixing up the heatsink we feel that the pins are all properly fixed up and are all the way in but it’s good to check the backside whether they all are properly placed in. it’s just a matter of misunderstanding, no you should be alert and active while fixing it up.

At a full load the stock heatsink fan will touch around 70 degree and the bios will show temperature higher as the CPU doesn’t idle till it gets into the windows.

Better your try out some other temperate testing software other than prime95. I do not doubt this prime95 software but I personally feel that it is a good practice to have a multiple comparisons. If you have fixed up your heatsink fan then make sure that the thermal paste which we apply before placing the fan is properly and evenly spread. I know that all these are the basic activities which cannot be the reason for the problem, but I am just making sure that you are properly covered and done with the base.

If you placed your processor and the heatsink fan yourself I would suggest you to disintegrate and fix them up by taking the help of any expert person or following instruction that are provided in the manual guide. Or else you can also get it fixed from the retailer from where you bought the CPU. They can do it in the better way. And you are confirmed with the fixing process test the CPU temperature with some other testing software.