Thread: Is it better to use Intel Core i3 on HTPC

Is it better to use Intel Core i3 on HTPC

Will it be better to use Intel Core i3 on a HTPC. I am just wonder that will the HTCP can be benefit. There is another portal HTPC which came by default config and storage space. This time I am thinking to give a better one to some. I can go for custom config. My requirement is to get a good quality of video on the screen and easy navigation. As she has a PS3. I can use media software's to make a home server like XMBC. Now about the hardware I had decided to add 4GB ram and 1TB of storage space. But about processor Intel Core i3 will do better. I can go for i5 or i7 too but that will increase the budget and I am not willing to pay more. I just want to learn what can be the effect of processors power on HTPC performance. Also if possible recommend me some ready to use models with better configuration. Thanks in advance.

Re: Is it better to use Intel Core i3 on HTPC

I just found a Mini-ITX HTPC on this forum. The model is HTPC Mini-ITX Gamer in P55 . This config is enough good to run games also on this and I think it will give you good video quality.
    HTPC Mini-ITX Gamer in P55 Review

If only video quality matters to you then it is not necessary to have Intel Core i3 on your system. There are branded HTPC which comes with a good gpu and enough ram. You can buy that pack and gift it. I had configured a htpc on Intel Core 2 Duo. What I had noticed that if you have a good gpu, then the display goes more fine on your large LCD. Other than this the it is already equipped with all necessary requirements you want on a media center system. Software like Windows Media Center are easy to use. What is more irritating on custom build system are configure the remote. I have to try many drivers and settings to make the universal remote work properly. Or else best to use with a wireless keyboard.

I will recommend you to go for Intel HD graphics based board with a good gpu. No need to go for a higher configuration or costly gpu. Performance wise Intel Core i3 is more stable and it remains cooler. You can go for mid range cpu like HD 5450. For a good HTPC I will surely choose Intel Core i3. One more additional thing you can add in your system is a Blu ray drive. This is recommended if you want to play HD movies on your screen or dual monitor support. Blu ray drives are costly but some HTPC like Zotac's Fusion-based Zbox AD03 Blu-ray HTPC comes with this player. Or ASRock ION 3D Blu-ray HTPC. The price is bit higher in comparison to other.

Look for ASRock Core 100HT-BD HTPC it has Intel Core i3 cpu. This new device has two USB 3.0 connectors and a new chipset Intel H55 Express, allowing you to transfer audio Blu-ray movies in the mode of HDMI Audio Pass Through. There is support and THX TruStudio PRO audio. In addition, there is gigabit Ethernet, but for those who prefer a wireless network - WiFi 802.11n with 300MB / s. Search for this device.

If you are not planing to stream your videos around web with the media server, then go for any current cpu. It is not necessary. If you go for Core i3 then you will need to buy the motherboard also for it.