Thread: Intel i7 2700K vs. Intel i7 3820

Intel i7 2700K vs. Intel i7 3820

HI, i am planning to buy a newer CPU for my motherboard and have some rough idea about them. I was expecting some good recommendation from here concerning the CPU as which one would be better to have…actually i have seen their specification once but still they are just next to non-understandable. Anyways suggestion will be appreciated.

Re: Intel i7 2700K vs. Intel i7 3820

Are you interested in overclocking the processor? Because both of the processor can do that but you’ll get only minimal difference in the clock frequencies after OC. Thus see if you are ready pay extra 300$ for the Intel i7 3820 processor then that’s quite good to have but as far as my personal recommendation is concerned I would always prefer to have Intel i7 2700K.

I don’t know whether you are aware about this or not but still see both of the processor have X79 Express Chipset but the only difference that you can have is at its cache size and its clocked frequencies.

You can have 10 MB Cache in Intel i7 2700K where as 8MB in other one, similarly you can have 3.6GHZ and 3.5GHZ respectively.

I do have the same opinion as the above user as both of the processor comes under OC series, in other words they have potential to be overclocked. If you don’t have any such plans the this will be insignificant to have in fact will cost you more than equivalent z68 boards.

Though the one that you have mentioned n the title, both are good but having them actually depends upon various other factors such as which motherboard you are using right now, along with that what is your budget, what is your actual usage and many other factors but still can you please mentioned what other specification you have installed in your machine so that i could assist you further.

Though the one that you have mentioned n the title, both are good but having them actually depends upon various other factors such as which motherboard you are using right now, along with that what is your budget, what is your actual usage and many other factors but still can you please mentioned what other specification you have installed in your machine so that i could assist you further.
    SPECIFICATION :

• GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5

• 8GB of DDR3 memory

• 500GB sata HDD

• 500watts corsair PSU

But along with this please do mentioned whether there is any need of updating any other hardware as well or not? because i have heard that after updating such huge units it would be better to get a good power supply as well, isn’t it?

well, obviously intel i7-3820 Generation 2 Processor will give you better performance than the other one but still for that you need to pay quite more which is not worth according to me. But still see I have mentioned some of the feature of this processor so that you can have better idea and off course would suggest you the same if you don’t have any financial barrier.

The processor i have mentioned comes under Sandy Bridge E Series which has Intel X79 Express Chipset. Along with that it has a very good clock speed that’s 3.6Ghz / 4 Core /8 Threads and the most important thing that i liked about it was its Maximum Turbo Frequency that you can have up to 3.9Ghz after OC.

other feature includes:

• Bus type QPI
    • 10MB Intel Smart cache / lower latency
    • HyperThreading / 8 processing threads
    • Integrated memory controller / 4 channels DDR3-1600
    • Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology

But along with this please do mentioned whether there is any need of updating any other hardware as well or not? because i have heard that after updating such huge units it would be better to get a good power supply as well, isn’t it?
    Yeah you are right as it is believe as it would be better to have at least 500watts PSU that you have, but still as per my recommendation you should also get the newer PSU as well, otherwise the motherboard that you have supports “Intel i7 2700K” processor but still i am not aware about the another one. in fact I would also suggest you to have that processor only because there isn’t any such difference in the performance rather you may have to pay around 250USFD to 300USD for another product which i consider to be worthless until and unless you need it really.