Thread: Computer freezing when connecting SSD to SATA 3 port of Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3

Computer freezing when connecting SSD to SATA 3 port of Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3

Currently I bought a SSD but when I attached it via my SATA 3 port, computer frozen and when I remove it and connect my normal HDD to SATA 3 port, problem remain the same. When I connect either SSD or HDD in my normal SATA port, it works fine. What could be the issue? My system specification is as below….
    GA-770TA-UD3
    Athlon II x3
    G.skill 4gB 1333
    Radeon 4850
    Vertex 3 SSD

Re: Computer freezing when connecting SSD to SATA 3 port of Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3

The SATA 3 port on the motherboard GA-770TA-UD3 is controlled by Marvell 9128 chip. And this chip makes very compatibility issue. Use these ports in IDE mode. This will help you tackle with the problem you are having. One more thing is to make sure your vertex 3 is up to date. Otherwise download its latest version and install it.

Re: Computer freezing when connecting SSD to SATA 3 port of Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3

You have to Marvell controller to tackle with the situation but this controller is creating lots of problem with compatibility issue. It just becomes a dumb in front of SSD or any RAID arrays. If you can use SATA 2 controlled ports for your SSD boot drive then it could be better and use Marvell ports only for optical drives and backup disks.

GA-770TA-UD3 is designed by gigabyte to give a stable a super fast speed platform to its user vie integrating accelerate technology in it. It is having USB 3.0 port which give you a thrilling speed of 4.8GB/s which is ten time faster than USB2.0. It is having the Marvell 88SE9128 controller which provides it combine with RAID or SATA3 disk drive. This is overall look for this mother board, which is showing that Marvell controller is necessary.

According to the configuration you are telling to me, it should work. SATA 3 is backward compatible to SATA 2. But if it is creating the problem then might be your SSD is not a SATA3 drive. And might be possible that you are having a very critical compatibility issue between your SSD and controller. Do update your SSD firmware to the latest one and then try again.

You are using SDD of vertex 3 and it has the latest version of firmware and the controller is Marvell which is not optimal for this but compatibility issue should not come. Your problem is either from SSD or from controller. Try to upgrade both of them.