Thread: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 is not posting

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 is not posting

I am having a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 and the problem I was having with it was that the computer was not posting at all, actually at that time I was getting the pattern of 3 beeps then a pause and another 3 beeps and this used to just go on until I remove the power supply. So after facing the same for a day or twp I had sent it for repair and when I got it back then the same problem appeared again when I was trying to set up a new cpu cooler and at that time as the amd heatsink had glued itself to the cpu I had by mistakenly pulled out the socket without knowing that the lever was lifted as well. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out as well, any suggestion for the same will be appreciated?

Re: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 is not posting

I am having a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 and the problem I was having with it was that the computer was not posting at all, actually at that time I was getting the pattern of 3 beeps then a pause and another 3 beeps and this used to just go on until I remove the power supply. So after facing the same for a day or twp I had sent it for repair and when I got it back then the same problem appeared again when I was trying to set up a new cpu cooler and at that time as the amd heatsink had glued itself to the cpu I had by mistakenly pulled out the socket without knowing that the lever was lifted as well. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out as well, any suggestion for the same will be appreciated?
    Before I suggest you something I just want you to check out whether you are having the same original mother board or not?? Other than that just post the specifications of your system as well, so I can have a better idea about your problem. Juts provide me with the said information for further help.

Yes I have checked it out and it is having the same serial not that my motherboard was having, I had made a note of it before sending it for the repairing, I think that there is something else that it is going on because I am facing the same problem even after getting my motherboard repaired, I really doubt that if there was actually some problem with the motherboard. My system specifications are as followed:
    • GA-990FXA-UD3
    • Phenom II 1100T
    • Coolermaster GX750w
    • Corsair vengance 1600 mhz 2x4 gb
    • Gigabyte 6950 1gb
    • ocz vertex 3 ssd
    • WD caviar blue 500gb Hdd
    • liteon DVD drive
    • Win 7 pro 64

Yes the heatsinks are quite securely attached by the TIM to the processors so I don’t think that removing or pulling it will work out and if you do so then it is obvious that the whole CPU will get pulled out of the socket, I think that you should try to safely twist it and then it will release it without any kind of damage. As far as the beep patter you are talking about then I will like to inform you that the 3 beeps for a BIOS POST error code is not actually a standard pattern or so, there are possibilities that this issue might be because of the graphic card as well, if it is not fitted well and so. I will suggest you to check out that there are no lose connection on the board just try it out and then let me know if it is helping you out or not.

I have tried your suggestion as well, I mean that I have removed the graphic card, ram and other removable things as well and now I have also made sure that they are fitted well and there is not lose connection anywhere at all but then the problem still exist, I am really running out of ideas now, is there any other workaround that I can try out to solve this issue, I am really getting confused whether it is a cpu problem or a board problem. Any further help for the same will be appreciated.

I have tried your suggestion as well, I mean that I have removed the graphic card, ram and other removable things as well and now I have also made sure that they are fitted well and there is not lose connection anywhere at all but then the problem still exist, I am really running out of ideas now, is there any other workaround that I can try out to solve this issue, I am really getting confused whether it is a cpu problem or a board problem. Any further help for the same will be appreciated.
    I will suggest you to check out the pins on your CPU, as there are chances that they might have been damaged or so and there are more possibilities of the same as you have specifies the way in which you have used taken out the CPU cooler. Just check it out and see if it is the culprit or not.

I will suggest you to check out the pins on your CPU, as there are chances that they might have been damaged or so and there are more possibilities of the same as you have specifies the way in which you have used taken out the CPU cooler. Just check it out and see if it is the culprit or not.
    That was the first thing that I had tried after all that mess that I had done with the cpu cooler, I have double checked it again as well and I have not found an cpu pins that are damaged, I have checked them out with magnifying glass to be more concerned and I have found that they all are fine and straight. Other than this I have also checked out that the cpu is fitting properly in the socket and all. I am really not getting the cause of the issue to get it work out somehow.

I think that there is surely something wrong with the memory or the graphic card, I will suggest you to do a memory test and find out if you find anything suspicious related to the issue, just perform a memtest and then let me know what you get as a result. Make sure that you check all the stick one by one, if you are having multiple.

I don’t think that there might be something wrong with the GPU as I had removed it during the cooler upgrade, so even it might have failed now I think that there is something else that is wrong because the gpu was working just fine before.

I am having a similar issue, my computer was working fine, but tried to play civ 5 with a huge map and it started to freeze. Thought that was the bios conf, started to do some changes, after I saved the changes and restarted it didnt post

Tried clearing the bios, removing the batt, changing the memory sticks and it just dont turn on, not sure if it is the psu dont think so as when I turn on the power on I can see my mp3 charging, but not even the fans are working

GA-990FXA-UD3
    ASUS EN9800GTX
    8GB RAM Kingston
    Thermaltake 600W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Mostro View Post
    I am having a similar issue, my computer was working fine, but tried to play civ 5 with a huge map and it started to freeze. Thought that was the bios conf, started to do some changes, after I saved the changes and restarted it didnt post

Tried clearing the bios, removing the batt, changing the memory sticks and it just dont turn on, not sure if it is the psu dont think so as when I turn on the power on I can see my mp3 charging, but not even the fans are working.
    Isnt it able to boot to bios? Seems to me its an overheating issue, which processor have you installed in your computer? Try to clean it by removing it from the motherboard and then blow off the dust if it is there. Check also if the thermal paste is wiped off, if it is then you will again have to re-apply it on the processor and see if the computer boots.