Thread: What should be “On-Chip Frame Buffer Size” in gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard

What should be “On-Chip Frame Buffer Size” in gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard

Hi, i am using gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard and let me tell you as i never used to play games that often, but still Can somebody recommend a value for the "On-Chip Frame Buffer Size" setting that i could set for this motherboard? I have ran Windows practiced Index scoring 6.4 on graphics, rebooted into the BIOS, and select the maximum 480MB. I have noticed that with 16GB of RAM I may as well give video all the RAM it can consume. However, the machine acquired about a minute to boot into Windows while it regularly takes 10 to 15 seconds and was awfully sluggish once I'd got logged in. The network and sound card devices weren't initialized properly the way it should supposed to. I rebooted again and went back to 64MB and the system is running very well.

Re: What should be “On-Chip Frame Buffer Size” in gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard

I am also having the same motherboard installed in my machine and I used your logic to attempt to max out the buffer, and got the similar fallout, only Windows 7 took over 5 minutes to load! And as far as the graphics performance is concerned i would say it was miserable as well. Back to 64 and it's humming along again. By the way what did you upgrade from? at present I'm loading it up with numerous flavors of Virtual Box guests on an Ubuntu host. 16GB and the core virtualization make this very effortless and valuable.

Re: What should be “On-Chip Frame Buffer Size” in gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard

as it seems like when the "on-chip frame buffer size" setting is set to a high value the, pc slows down to a grinding halt, isn’t it? If so then according to me why to do that? Rather it would be better to put it the way it is that’s being disabled.

according to me even as I do not observe why it should take so long to boot because of the extra memory allotment I also don't actually perceive the point in it.

you are not gaining from having a huge frame buffer as you will not be doing a lot of 3D work and even if you were it would be rational to spend in a dedicated graphics card for that. You do not require huge amounts of graphics memory for running the standard 2D programs, otherwise as mentioned you should get any good compatible gpu.

as it seems like when the "on-chip frame buffer size" setting is set to a high value the, pc slows down to a grinding halt, isn’t it? If so then according to me why to do that? Rather it would be better to put it the way it is that’s being disabled
    Though I am agree with you but still i am expecting as you must have installed 64 bit version of Windows 7. But still i have noticed that The newer system essentially concludes the amount of system memory that it is set for but merely utilizes the amount throughout DOS sessions etc like while booting. It is used dynamically not like the older UMA system where it was fixed once owed. Therefore, you do not require to set it to such a high level as before. Thus as far as my personal opinion is concerned 8 GB would be normal.