Thread: CPU is running at 100% even when i am doing nothing in windows vista SP2

CPU is running at 100% even when i am doing nothing in windows vista SP2

I am running windows vista and the problem i have started facing is that the CPU is running at 100% even when i am doing nothing and when it is idle.There was a need to do a system restore but before that i ran a scan with "Hijackthis " and i have found this:
    Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 11:54:28, on 12/11/2011
    Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.19154)
    Boot mode: Normal
    The thing that i have noticed in the log file is that there is a process called PING.exe and it is using more than 90 percent of the cpu, i have tried to stop the same but then it starts again automatically.

Re: CPU is running at 100% even when i am doing nothing in windows vista SP2

I don't have much idea about the issue but then i think that PING.exe process is related to the Prio - Process Priority Saver, which is used for displaying the existing TCP connections as well as the open ports. So just check out if there i something wrong related to the tcp connection and all. Juts check it out and then let me know for further help.

I will suggest you to deleted the dead entries from the registry and which you think are not in use and other than that also remove advanced systemcare 3 using a registry cleaner but then do not use the same for deleting the dead entries from the registry. I have found a no of user who have faced many further problems after deleting the dead entries from the registry using the registry cleaner. So just keep this in mind and perform the above solutions and then see if it is making any difference or not?? let me know what you get for further help.

I will like to inform you that even though your problem is appearing as if bloated startup has been affected by the malware/spyware but then there are possibilities that there might be some file sharing apps that are running without your knowledge. So just try to perform the below solution:
    Launch the "HiJackThis" but then make sure that you are not running a scan.
    After that just click on the "Open The Misc Tools Section" button and then again click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.
    After that just save it by clicking on the "Save List" button.
    And then just copy the "uninstall_list.txt" in a notepad file and then send it to me through a personal message, so i can help you further with the same.

Hey i have done exactly what you have mentioned in the above steps and i have also copied the file in the notepad and i have sent you the same through personal message, so just check it out and see if you could help me out with the same, Thanks in advance.

I have gone through the same and i think that you need to perform the following things:
    • Update the Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX to Adobe Flash Player ActiveX 11.1.102.55
    • Update the Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin to Adobe Flash Player Plugin 11.1.102.55
    • Update the Adobe Reader 9.4.6 to Adobe Reader 10.1.1
    • You can uninstall the AVG 2011 and get the Microsoft Security Essentials 2.1.1116.0
    • Uninstall the CCleaner,Conduit Engine and the Defraggler.
    • Install the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.51.2.1300 or SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0.0.1136 needs to be installed.
    • Update the Skype 3.8 to Skype 5.5.0.124

Just try to make these changes and then see if it is making any difference or not, I think this should probably solve the issue.

I think that you might be using Vuze because i have found a no of people who have mentioned that they were having such problems with that program, firstly the problem is because of the legal issues and all but then if the same is not in your case then i think that it might have been affected by the malware so if you Think that this might be the case as well then just uninstall the below things:
    • Vuze
    • Vuze Toolbar
    • Vuze_Remote Toolbar

If you are having the "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" then perform the below steps:
    Start the program and then get the updates for the same and then make a quick scan after that when you find any infected file then just select them and then remove them as well.
    After that just run the program again and then check the log files and then copy them in the notepad and send me the same.

If you are having SUPERAntiSpyware perform the same thing with it and then send the log file as well,

I have sent you the log files of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as well as the SUPERAntiSpyware and ran the scan after getting the updates, it has discovered a no of infections and i have also removed them as well, Just check out the files and then please help me out with the same, i really need to solve it out somehow. Any further help will be appreciated.

I have checked both log files and i have found that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan log is displaying the action that you have taken but then SUPERAntiSpyware is not doing the same, so here i wanted to know that have you really deleted infectious file that you have found in the scan result of both of them?? but then if you have done the same then i you can try out this:
    • Go to start and then click on run.
    • After that just type "%temp%" without the quotes and then click on OK.
    • After that you will get a new window with a list of files so just delete every thing that you find.
    • After the process is complete don't do anything further and reboot the computer.

Just try to do the same and see if it is helping you out.

I will suggest you to run the "HiJackThis" one more time and then make a system scan only and after the process is finished just check mark the below entries:
    • R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {414b6d9d-4a95-4e8d-b5b1-149dd2d93bb3} - (no file)
    • O2 - BHO: Megaupload Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-CCB0-B130EEDBE97C} - (no file)
    • O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    • O3 - Toolbar: Megaupload Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-CCB0-B130EEDBE97C} - (no file)
    • O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    • O18 - Protocol: avgsecuritytoolbar - {F2DDE6B2-9684-4A55-86D4-E255E237B77C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll

After that close the program and then go to start and then click on run and then type "MSCONFIG " and then click on ok and then just remove the check mark from the Windows Defender or MSASCui. Once you are done with the same then type "SERVICES.MSC" in the run again and then click on ok and then open the properties windows of the AVG Security Toolbar Service,Windows Defender and make them disabled and after that reboot the system and run the "HiJackThis" again and then send me the log files for further help.

I have done what you have specified above and I have sent you the log file as well. Just check it out and then please help me out with the same. Hoping for a positive reply.