Thread: Suggestion for Intel Board & Processor for Virtualization?

Suggestion for Intel Board & Processor for Virtualization?

I want to get such moard and processor so that I will be able to test all the below mentioned OS in lab without any problem. If you are having any good suggestion for me then you are most welcome to post that over here.
    • MS Server 2008 / 2010 = Physically & Virtually
    • MS Exchange Server 2007 / 2010 = Physically & Virtually
    • VMware vSphere / VMWare = WorkStation 7
    • Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Re: Suggestion for Intel Board & Processor for Virtualization?

I have two suggestions for you as below. you can search for more information on both of this and go for the one that you think you will be better for you.
    • Intel Desktop Board DQ67SW
    • Intel Coreā„¢ i7-2600 Processor (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz)

Virtualization is easy to sell. Who would not want his collection of lightly loaded servers into a virtual server farm with small humming one-click virtual machines can toggle on or off? The best kept secret of virtualization is that for maximum effectiveness will need to look good at the right infrastructure that fits your goals.

If you are thinking of the server then the purchase of the parts normally starts with the CPU. With virtualization, the number of cores in a processor is almost always more important than speed. You'll be amazed how many virtual servers you can run a 1.7 GHz machine long enough cores are available. If you can afford, you can easily choose a server fast 2.93 GHz Intel Westmere chips. But you certainly get value for money with an AMD Opteron CPU from the 4000 series, which you can choose from speeds from 1.7 GHz to 2.2 GHz with six cores per CPU. Some of these processors may well facilitate a medium virtualization framework.

In normal server operations, the CPU usually all at rest (idle) and if they have to do something, a fast CPU must wait for slower subsystems like the hard drive, memory (RAM) or the network. If you have a choice between a 6, 8 or 12 core CPU at a slower clock speed than a 4 or 6 core CPU then always choose the most processor cores.

Buy as many RAM as the budget allows. The amount of RAM is the biggest limiting factor in how much you can run virtual servers. It is wise to 64GB of RAM in a server with 12, 16 or 24 cores in place, but I know that the price of RAM pretty incurs in larger quantities. DIMMs of 4GB or 8GB are much more expensive than 2GB DIMMs, but you would eventually have to buy any new physical server to be rid of your RAM. You not only lose money for a new server, but also for additional licenses.

The other side of the coin is that you always have enough physical servers that will need for the removal of a server to cope and this is even better if you implement multiple servers. If you do not need any server 10G direction of pumping, the use of faster storage mechanisms useless.

According to me the Intel Core i3 2100T Dual Core will be the best for you. You must check for this once. I am sure that you will like it.

Virtualization is a topic that is increasingly important, especially since Microsoft has indicated that the professional version of Windows 7 would incorporate a tool to virtualize Windows XP to keep a perfect compatibility with some applications a little old. Small problem, this tool requires a CPU with an instruction set tailored, VT-x (Intel) or AMD-V (AMD).Virtualization is a topic increasingly important, especially since Microsoft has indicated that the professional version of Windows 7 would incorporate a tool to virtualize Windows XP to keep a perfect compatibility with some applications a little old. Small problem, this tool requires a CPU with an instruction set tailored, VT-x (Intel) or AMD-V (AMD). Small problem, this tool requires a CPU with an instruction set tailored, VT-x (Intel) or AMD-V (AMD)

AMD is quite simple: all processors are compatible, except Sempron Turion. The presence of VT-x depends on the processor and some models do not have them while other processors are compatible in the same range. To check if your processor is compatible, Intel has a page which depends on the model, to check if the compatibility is there or not.

Thank you so much for your replies for this. This provides me a great idea about this and I am sure that this will also help other people who are searching for the same.