Thread: Is it possible to install core 2 duo processor on dell Precision 380

Is it possible to install core 2 duo processor on dell Precision 380

Hi, I am having dell Precision 380 machine in which currently I am having Pentium IV 630 (3.0GHz with HT) and which works fine but still I am not getting the performance which is expected. No doubt there isn’t any such problem with the hardware as we can understand that the hardware is quite lower but still wanted to know that whether the machine I am having will support Core 2 Duo CPUs or not? Because If it is then I think I’ll surly get some sort of improvement in the speed. Thus please let me know whether is it possible to install this CPU’s in the machine?

Re: Is it possible to install core 2 duo processor on dell Precision 380

if I am not wrong then in your machine you must be having intel 955 chipsets right, so according to that I would say the processor type you have mentioned is not able to installed however. Because the motherboard you are having in your machine is not capable of supporting such hardware, but still If you wanted to make sure about the same you can simply ask to any technical person who must be expertise in this field.

well, Installing a dual-core Intel CPU needs one of these new chipsets, since they're the only ones that support the most recent Pentium D and Pentium Extreme Edition processors. That said both the 945P and 955 X support the similar CPUs. But you still have to ensure that motherboards based on the 955X will convene the additional demanding power and performance necessities of the Extreme Edition processor better - though they are also probably to cost extra But that also most likely means that 955-based boards will defy obsolescence longer, and may have a improved possibility of obliging upcoming CPUs as well.

See you can observe the CPU’s that you can install in your machine, I have attached a file In which I have provided all the information regarding different processors.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would like to recommend you that you should try to get the proper information regarding the same by contacting the dell support center, because I think that’s the only way through which you can have more precise information regarding the CPU upgrade, because if suppose someone is just not sure about the same thing and after seeing his recommendation if you do any updating can result in severe damage, thus it would be better if you get yourself clear by contacting support center.

But if suppose you really wanted to update the hardware then let me tell you as you must have to update the motherboard as well, because after that you can install any compatible CPU’s in the machine.