Thread: On IBM server we can use second CPU advantageously.

On IBM server we can use second CPU advantageously.

When I was approved 2 older IBM xSeries eServers (225 and 235) which together have Xeon 2.4 CPUs. I directly them keen on workstations, then I switch the OS to XP-Pro for driver and further compatibility. Reasons. For that I can able to do the basic thing of like pc stuff, and another is film scanning and editing. I am now only wanted to use the 235. (With IBM bios 1.14).so then I was think that to put the CPU and VRM from the 225 and 235, but I don’t want to mess unless I will not get a significant routine improvement.

Re: On IBM server we can use second CPU advantageously.

It is like to going to upgrade a multicore.routine increases but not a quite doubles and it duty. Dependant. The CPU need to be the similar model xenon .but it should be from the stepping, just be sure to put the junior stepping into the U9 socket and the superior one in the u13 or else the CPU difference will light up and you won't post. You all required to reinstalled the XP software if that you didn’t known the dual professors would used a different you might try using uphal since you immediately install XP. You really don’t contain whatever thing to loose...

If the 225 xSeries eServers is assemble the dust after that goes for it except you has to be additional confident that the whole thing will go okay. Both CPU’s been supposed to be similar speed and would go further to declare that the power of vrm module is of the similar spec as the one in the 235. If everything is the equal give it then try it in muti threaded request there will be a improve but if the machine is idle most of the occasion or more than I disbelief that it is worth your effort

Appreciation for these replies. The chips are identical, and consequently and I guess that the VRMs are, in addition .The maintain information on Hal was impressive. I knew that it is nothing about, and frankly, at first quick look its way over my head. On second quick look, however, it says that on window XP and later on version, the ACPI Uniprocessor HAL and the MPS Uniprocessor HAL identify the subsistence of additional one processor and report the MP ID. Play and plug that can be detected that will be the pc denote hardware id list. It should be changed from and moves to the denote back, only through when it found a new hardware detection process. Therefore when you like to add another processor. The mp files are directly automatically installed and do not able to do manually update the driver in device manager

Under the system info 32 and the hardware resources, IRQ3 machine device is programmed as "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System." Is there an additional way to confirm it? Are you confident that I have to reinstall XP? Am I lost somewhat? It looks as if I decide the previous scheduled HAL type. I don’t able to appreciate the dissimilarity between UpdatUPHAL and UpdateHAL, but if the machine is ACPI leaving from uni to multi-processors, it looks as if the modify is automatic

Just set up the CPU and see if it detect the modify then. If not, remove it and boot back up accurately like you were before. Two processors and photo restriction play nice jointly though. I run an over clocked 6 cores 1055T just because I do correct the pics and vids of my grandkids and Photoshop really likes it. For gaming I could contain gotten by with a dual core or a triple core

The scanner which I just prearranged is arriving on Thursday. For the sake of this argument, I'll stay on installing the additional processor pending I get a reaction for the performance with the single CPU, and then I'll do the promote and see what variety of difference there is. It may acquire a week or so. Please stay tuned. Thanks again for your replies, and any person else should please add anything comments he or she thinks will be helpful. PS. If this the upgrade doesn't go as expected, I'll be back with my questions

For just reporting reverse to show appreciation you all. I comprise doing some of the film editing and learning more concerning some of the many things I have to do to the scans. The 235 structure is so slow on these everyday jobs that I am giving up. It's concerning 8 years old. Still, I was just about ready to follow the guidance of popatim on how to break things down, and I believe I would have been capable to do so, but then abdussamad other a voice to nforce4max and put things into a further perspective. Thanks again for the help. Don't shoot me, but I'm going away to assemble an i5-2500k structure and run 32bit XP Pro on it.

As I said, I don't recognize how my application would use the two processors. The most processor demanding stuff would approximately certainly be the Silver fast scanning software, plus whatever image editor. I'm using on quite large TIFF records. Other than that, I don't use a set of power: some audio editing uses huge files, perhaps, but it's because of the photo work that I'm thinking of adding the other Xeon, which is indeed collecting dust.I have been used XP for a while on the 235, so I have a lot of application installed, and it would be a bit of a trouble to reinstall them. The 235 server have 4 smallish ultra-SCSI drives, and I can quite without difficulty have one stay for booting the present design if I have to go back. Or am I risking a total mess from which I won't be capable to recover