Thread: Memory compatibility problem with Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4

Memory compatibility problem with Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4

I recently replaced my 8GB RAM with a 16GB RAM. The specification of my PC till now was, CPU- Intel Core i7 860, Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4, and RAM 8Gb G-skill ripjaws DDR3 1333MHz PC10666 (8-8-8-24) 1.5v.
    The RAM that I replaced with my 8GB RAM was a 16GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz 1.5v. But, after replacing it my computer is not even booting up. But it becomes normal when I put back the previous RAM in it. After this when I went through the compatibility list to check that my RAM is in it or not, then I found that it is not on it. So, the main concern of mine is that I want to put more than 8GB of RAM, but it is not taking more than 2GB sticks. I think now I need to replace my motherboard, but I really don’t want to replace my motherboard. So, I want to know any trick so that I will not have to replace my motherboard. So, is there anyone who can help me in this case? Please, reply.

re: Memory compatibility problem with Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4

I don’t know from where you got that understanding that the motherboard will support only 2GB sticks. As far as I know the motherboard will actually work without any problem even when you are using 4GB sticks.
    I think that the main reason for your issue is that you are still thinking that your motherboard will configure all the settings and the voltage automatically along with all the banks filled. Actually this is not possible. You must have to configure the BIOS by yourself including the voltage for the RAM and the timings. You can read this on the side of the box in which it came.

Thanks for your reply, but I was really little bit confused because my motherboard is specified to run up to 16GB, but when I saw its supported memory list then there was only one and two GB sticks mentioned there. So, according to what you said now, I am assuming that will I have to set the memory timings with respect to the previous RAM and after that I will have to swap the new stuff over? And yes I was thinking that these motherboards will automatically configure itself for the new memory.

Yes, they of course manage the sticks automatically but they manage them automatically if there are not more two sticks. Therefore, first install 2 Sticks, then alter the BIOS settings and after that install the remaining of RAMs. I think you have understood now, that what you have to do, right?

So, according to what you just said, even if it automatically configures itself, when only two sticks are installed, then also, will I have to change the settings in the BIOS? Or is it possible to just install two sticks and then after it had configured itself automatically then shut down it for once and then install other sticks in it?

I think you didn’t realized what I wanted to say you. You have to change all the settings of the BIOS by yourself. And if required then I think you will even need to tweak them so that they can work with each of the banks filled.

Actually I am little bit confused about this. As far as I remembered, when I built this PC for the first time then I did nothing with the BIOS. The all I had did was just to change a clock multiplier and also to enable the turbo mode. And I am sure that I didn’t make any changes in the memory timings. So, I want to ask that, will I need to just set the frequency and the main latency timings. I think, I do not required to do anything with the advanced memory timings, right? Actually the main concern is that I don’t know too much about the BIOS settings, so I expect an easiest solution from you.

OK, this is for everyone who has stuck in this problem. In my case, I always just turn off my computer and after that I go with resetting the cmos, and then loading the new RAM in and then the rest of the thing I leave for the auto configuration. You may think it as strange but the fact is that your motherboard will not detect the sticks, if you have not did the reset.

So, now you mean to say that the automatic configurations worked for all the 4 sticks that you installed? And if it really happened, then I will have to say that you are really lucky. I think you must have to do some manual settings, but in some strange cases, like yours automatic settings can also work. But, even if your configuration is working fine for this time, it is possible that it may become unstable in future and then finally you have to do it manually.

So, now I have figured out that the quantity of RAM, along with all the key timings was perfect. So now do you thing that there is anything else that I will have to check and set manually?

I think no. If you can see that everything is working fine for now then I think you should just leave it for now and if you get any issues with it in future then you can discuss that here and then we will try to sort out that issue, at that time. But, for this time being you can just leave it, if everything is working fine and you don’t have any problem in running your computer.

Re: Memory compatibility problem with Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4

Ok, as you suggested, I am leaving it for now, because it is really working very fine and I don’t have any issue with its execution for now. By the way thanks to you for giving all the suggestions till now.