Thread: Components swapping on EVGA SR-2 motherboard for upgrade

Components swapping on EVGA SR-2 motherboard for upgrade

Building up an custom specification for new system. This board came in my mind. I want to know more on this board. The most maximum and minimum amount of hard drive, ram, gpu, etc I can run on the same. Thanks.

re: Components swapping on EVGA SR-2 motherboard for upgrade

I can say it is an mid level board which can work with both multi core processors of amd and intel. It can also be counted under the list of high end boards, because some has successful in overclocking the Xeon processors on it. Talking about the performance the board is just awesome. You can build your custom system on this with ease. It is an gaming board and any gaming gpu support well enough on this. It was assumed that this board can simultaneously work with two six-core 32 nm processors Core i7-980X Extreme Edition processors. Till yet I had not yet seen this, but there are some testers who successfully modified it. The baord is out some time before supporting the pair of series processors Xeon 5600 and Xeon 5500 LGA 1366.

SR2 stands for super record 2 which is meant for high end system. In the same way the board is made for overclockers also. You can get maximum performance out of the same. Also you can manage the board with better bios support and many gpu works without any much error. You must read the technical sheet of this board once and then check back.

Just by reading the features you can figure how the board is. The official website more detail on technical aspects. Go through below to get more reference :
    • The board supports Intel Xeon Dual QPI Socket 1366 Processors
    • Intel 5520 Chipset
    • 12 DIMM Triple-Channel DDR3 1333MHz+ (up to 48GB)
    • Enthusiast Layout Supporting 2-way SLI, 3-way SLI, 4-way SLI or CrossFireX
    • 2 SATA III 6.0GB/s Ports, 6 SATA II 3.0GB/s Ports, 2
    • E-SATA Ports
    • 2 Gigabit Ethernet Ports (10/100/1000)
    • 8 Channel High Definition Audio
    • 2 USB 3.0/2.0 Ports, 10 USB 2.0 Ports (6 I/0, 4 Internal)

Go for an benchmark article. They provide more better information on the board performance. This make a bit sense to buy this or not. As the board is really high end and a good choice for gamers.

The board looks too big in size. I don't know but a better cpu case is needed for the same if you are planing to run many hardware on the same and continuous upgrades also.

I can give you information on maximum hardware support. This can help you to find out which can work. Basically when you are spending on such a high end board, you must then also need a better processor/ram/gpu to get the exact performance. It will not be worth to buy this board and the use the same on your old hardware. Anyhow the entire specs is what matters which also counst the hard drive/systemcase/cooling.
    • CPU Support : Intel Socket 1366 (Xeon 5600/5500)
    • Chipset : Intel 5520
    • Memory Support : Dual or Triple Channel DDR3
    • SLI Support : 2-way, 3-way, 4-way
    • SATA Header : 8
    • SATA Type : 2x600MB/sec / 6x300MB/sec
    • USB Ports : 2x3.0 / 10x2.0
    • PCIE Slot : 7 x PCIe x16/8
    • Integrated LAN : 2 x 10/100/1000

Intel 5520 chipset has two nForce 200 chips. This two chips provide support for SLI in different combinations. So here you get more help to work two different gpu where your choice expands more. There are around 7 PCI Express x16 slots on the board, which shows how much performance you can drive out of this board. You can run through two schemes x16 + x16 + x16 + x16 or x16 + x8 + x8 + x8 + x8 + x8 + x8. You can use around 12 DIMM slots which support around 48GB triple-channel DDR-1333 memory. For hard drive support you get two SATA-600 port and the other you will find SATA-300 mode. And also usb 3.0 support. The board is awesome with many high configuration and updates.

The board looks really impressive here. Really meant for gamers. The price is really high. The chipset and other features put more additions on the same. Gigabyte X58A-UD9 is another board which can stands in its comparison.

Re: Components swapping on EVGA SR-2 motherboard for upgrade

The highlighted thing of this motherboard is that it has two LGA1366 socket. You can run two processors on the same board. The performance is simply much better and nice. The new model in the market has more upgraded features. For those who really need high performance system, this one is recommended. Currently the boards support two Intel Xeon processors E5500 series and X5600. 12 Ram slots in which 6 are dedicated to each cpu triple the performance output. The benchmark articles on this boards states that this work quiet nicely till yet with many hardware without causing much issues. The board is quiet high end mobo meant for high end gaming system.

Re: Components swapping on EVGA SR-2 motherboard for upgrade

This is an kind of good product for overclockers. You can add more ram and more processors on the same to performance many resource intensive task.