Thread: Unable to use full RAM with MSI 990FXA-GD80

Unable to use full RAM with MSI 990FXA-GD80

Hello friends In my computer I have MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard and I am I have recently decided to upgrade the RAM in my system so I have bought one more 4GB Geil Ultra 1333 RAM stick and now in my system I have 8GB RAM but my system showing only 3.90 GB RAM available now please tell me what should I do to fix this.

Re: Unable to use full RAM with MSI 990FXA-GD80

Well according to me you should first check that whether you have connected the RAM properly or not? first make sure that both the RAM is connected properly and after that check in your system whether it is showing full 8GB RAM usable or not.

I will also suggest you the same first check your RAM is plugged-in properly and after checking that you have to also connect the RAM in any other memory slot and after connecting the RAM in other memory slot you have to check whether you are facing the same problem or not. If you are not getting any issues after connecting the RAM in other memory slot then I think there might be something wrong your memory slot on your motherboard. But if you are facing the same problem with other memory slot also then put any other memory in your system and after that you have to check whether you are facing any issue with it or not. if you didn’t get any problem after using any other RAM stick with your computer then I think there is something wrong with the new RAM stick which you have bought and I will suggest you to return that RAM stick to the retailer from where you have bought that and ask them about your problem. I think after trying this solution you will not get any issue with your RAKM and computer. if you want any more help regarding this then let me know.

I have read your problem and first of all I will suggest you to connect your RAM with any other computer and after that check whether it is working or not. if that RAM is working properly with that system then I think there might be compatibility issue between your RAM and processor and I will first ask you to check on the internet and whether your processor is listed in the RAM support list or not. you have to go to the official website of the GeIL and there you will get the exact information.

Did you try memteset86 in your computer? if you have not tried this yet then first run memteset86 in your system and after that you to check whether you are getting any error or not.

Yes running the memteset86 will let you know to about the exact problem occurred with your system. if you don’t know about how to use the memtest86 then you have to do the following steps.
    • First you have to download the memteset86 ISO file from the internet.
    • Now after downloading the file you have to burn the CD or DVD of that image file in your system.
    • After burning the image you have to keep the CD or DVD in your system and then restart the computer.
    • Now after restarting the computer you have to run the memteset86.

if didn’t get any error after that then it means both the RAM is working fine and if you get error then it means any of the RAM stick is faulty.

As you have said in your solution to check the RAM with the different memory slot but after trying the RAM with different memory slot also I was having the same problem. Now after that I have also tried to detect the problem by running the memteset86 but I didn’t get any error while running thememteset86 also. Now please tell me what I should do to solve this issue. I have checked on the official website of the GeIL and my processor is listed there. If anyone having the same problem and have solution then please let me know.

Well as far as I know sometimes by updating the BIOS in your computer you can fix this issue and that is would suggest you to first update the BIOS and after that check whether you are having the same issue or not.

In my system I was also having the same issue and after that I have first tried to solve this issue by changing the RAM voltage setting from the BIOS bur after that also I was having the same issue and after that my friend told me that my BIOS version is old and that is the main reason behind this problem and after that I have visited official site of the my motherboard manufacturer and after reading that I have downloaded updated BIOS version file in my system and after that I have create one bootable flash drive and after that I have update the BIOS in my computer and after updating the BIOS in my computer when I have checked about RAM in my computer at that time my system was showing the RAM status properly. I think you can try this solution and after that you will not get any issue with your system.

If trying above solution also if you are facing the same problem then think there should be something wrong with you motherboard and you should contact the service center to solve this issue and there you will get the proeper solution regarding this.

After referring your solutions I have done BIOS update in my system and after updating the BIOS when I have checked system properties at that time there was RAM listed properly and now all the things are working properly. Thank you so much for helping me.