Thread: Found some memory bugs while using Phenom II X4 965 processor

Found some memory bugs while using Phenom II X4 965 processor

I am working on an system that has Phenom II X4 965 processor. This cpu is new and recently the system was upgraded with an higher amount of ram. One of 4Gb and other one of 2GB. My friend is planing to change that and add more 8GB of ram to the system. There was certain issue he faced while using the system that was not easy to define. I had tried to provide the maximum information below that. I used some tools like Cpuz and memtest to determine the exact issue here. This can related to the hardware limitations. I do not know the exact cause, but some of my problems can provide the highlights. At first, after a long time when I switched back my pc on, I found a major dropdown in the systems performance. After performing an ram test by using Memtest disk, there were some errors listed. But when the systems works properly continuous for some couple of days, there is no error listed in the Memtest.

How this happens. At first it shows some notifications. I cannot provide an image support for that. The system does not gives issue when it is used continuously. I found this common when both the rams were working and when one of them were working. This encouraged more curiosity to test the rams here. I performed some heavy task in the system like moving around 50gbs of file between partitions and running resource extensive applications. Later on the reboot no such issue. The system seems to be work properly without any ram errors. So in that can I can conclude that there is nothing wrong with my ram.

Re: Found some memory bugs while using Phenom II X4 965 processor

This can be a common issue if you are overclocking the system. It is now commonly found in today's motherboard to hype the cpu frequency from bios itself. It can be done by the system owner or from the place where he had bought. At start systems are optimized to provide you much better performance. The ram cannot be counted as problematic. This issue is more related to the actual working of your processor and even with some limitations of the FSB. I cannot say exactly how to check this out, but later on you can find such tools. The boot performance can be optimized to some extent from the bios itself.

Before performing those test, you must have a look on in detail system specification. That is what is the ram frequency the motherboard can handle and what is the rate of your fsb. Can you manage that with your bios or not. In some cases a proper bios update fixes most of the ram issue. There are multipler settings in your bios, which lets you to modify the systems performance. But that is only recommended for the advance users. Also check that your cpu is not getting heated. Have a proper ventilation.

In my view undervolt your processor. This looks totally odd solution here, but this will be helpful in your case. The much higher system configuration you have, the more power is consumed and more heat is generated. This is common in most of the pc. You can have a proper ventilation for this, but you must also know that as the time goes on, the system performance degrades automatically. Undervotling is a method where you restrict your processors power. You does not allow him to work beyond an limit. This not only reduces stress on the processor but also helps to improve your cpu's performance. You will never need all the cpu frequency all the time. A maximum time your cpu stays idol.

How to Undervolt a cpu

What you mentioned can be an issue if you are planing for using Virtualization. Yes, this is the place where cpu has to work more. The ram is an temporary support only. Major ram flaws must be avoided. Check that you have uniform ram sticks. The frequency of ram here also matters under such work. High ram above 8gb is only recommended if you are going to dedicate some of its amount to the virtual machine, and the remaining can be utilized for your operating system. Run some tools like cpu monitor which can give you every second update of the changing frequency of your processor. Keep an track on this along with the power consumed. You can here opt for undervolting.

What my experience says that the higher amount of ram you have, the more stress goes on your system. That means if you are using a 4 sticks of 2GB ram, then the system needs to put more stress to drive performance out of it and the same also effects the cpu. I will recommend you to go for higher ram only when you have some demand work in your system. Like video editing where large amount of files are stored in your temporary memory. At start for some help disable the swap file. This is good for those applications who do not need page file to work.