Thread: MSI 870A-G54 not compatible with USB3 HDD

MSI 870A-G54 not compatible with USB3 HDD

Every time my PC goes into Windows 7 x64 S1 or S3 power saving mode, or turned off completely, my external drive USB3 not inactive. It emits a constant beeping, beep, beep noise as if it is rotated every second and then stop because they are not getting enough power. Two other USB2 devices connected to the PC is behaving very well say, at rest or rotating when the PC is in standby or off. USB3 I tried two different external hard drives with onboard this motherboard is USB3-G54 870A connectors and both exhibit the same behavior. USB3 When these two units are connected to my second PC (via the PCI card on a motherboard USB3 Asus) are well behaved. Any idea how I can force these USB3 external hard drives to sleep when the PC goes into standby or off? I'm using the latest Renesas USB 3.0 Drivers (version 2.0.34.0).

Re: MSI 870A-G54 not compatible with USB3 HDD

This is a Freecom Mobile Drive Classic 2.5 "USB3.0 disk, so that the port USB3.0 on board should power that was good. The unit does not have a connector for an additional power source and tried to drive on a second PC and it works well. I moved a 500GB Buffalo MiniStation USB 3.0 external hard drive of the second computer (which worked fine) and also shows this strange behavior when connected to the motherboard MSI. Therefore two USB3.0 separate units operate normally when connected to an Asus board both units do not have a connector for an additional external power supply and work as abnormal when connected to the MSI card. This makes me think the problem is with the Renesas USB3.0 connectors on the board of MSI not supplying enough power under certain conditions and not a fault in any of the hard drives.

I flashed the BIOS and the problem persists A7599AMS.HD1. I have yet to disconnect all USB 3.0 external drives when the system is off or in a dream state as the motherboard USB 3.0 ports are delivering a small amount of energy but not enough to return fully to the resulting units in this troublesome start / stop ringing, ringing in the drive plates are constantly trying to spin and then stops. We hope that the MSI engineers visit these forums are aware of the problem and are working on a solution.

In general, there is not any problem with it right to go to sleep or waking up has to do with the graphics or sound driver. It assumes that the USB disk is handled by some kind of driver, but USB is connected. Try undoing auto-starting programs is not used, apart from anti-virus program, and things related to what sound and graphics, in exacting, as Realtek and ATI Catalyst.

I think I spoke too soon about MSI actively working the problem, "their comments without hope is simply to say:" Regarding your concern, we have seen with our bios engineers told us it was different from USB3 USB2 Therefore, it is normal that. USB3 disc closes after S3. We apologize for any inconvenience". This is different USB3 USB2. What a vision. And this incorrect behavior is normal. I blame myself because I knew I should have stuck with Asus boards. Thanks for all the comments in this forum guys has been much more useful than the "MSI Support Team.

I continued to play in the BIOS and I think I solved this to my satisfaction. I changed the power management setting in the BIOS "BIOS" to "OS" and now my drives correctly USB3 off when the PC is fine in S3 save to RAM or sleep totally off. I hope this helps others who may have similar problems, and I will update the MSI hold up ticket for that reason - even while they have not been at all cooperative.

I read on the official website that the form of other components like the CPU, etc. could be relevant to what I'm sure is a hard topic motherboard/USB3. That was the reason that only published model motherboard and hard drive information. Having said that I apologize if I violated the rules of publication of the forum - it certainly was not my intention to mislead. Thanks to the link I raised a ticket with the support of MSI and am actively working on the problem - and thanks to all who tried to help - that was much appreciated.