Thread: system crashing continuously on intel XEON 5520 / S5500BC

system crashing continuously on intel XEON 5520 / S5500BC

From the last two years, I am working with two servers Intel xeon. Out of those two server have the problem, which is random crash restart? It happens sometimes only. My Server restart with some odd beep without having any reason. At that time, LED which are there on the front side of the case, become orange. My this system contains RAID 2x250GB HDDs. I am facing this problem first time and I am confused that is that hardware problem or is that software problem. Can some help me out in this case?

re: system crashing continuously on intel XEON 5520 / S5500BC

If you want to make sure that which causes your system to random crash restart, then I will suggest you to see the system Event Log file. This file has the error, which will tell you about the hardware failure. If this is not showing any error then it is sure that there is any software problem. I was having this idea because I was also suffering from the same problem. I searched on the service center and found that I have to check the system event log.

As per my recommendation you have to download the SET utilities. And run this utility, if this utility is saying that there is any hardware problem then you can also perform the diagnostic by executing the platform confidence test. I will also recommend you to update your firmware package to. You may also try to download try the EFI version from EFI. May be you don’t have the drivers for the Linux IPMI loaded or your BMC is hung.

I will suggest you to first check with the open source community, for the operating system which you are using. Make sure that there is no error related with your problem. After that check on the SEL that will clearly suggest you what is your problem actually. If it is not providing you anything then I am sure that it is like SW problem with your system to getting crash while restarting. So at this time try to check the open source community only to deal with your problem.