Thread: with Intel Core™ i7-960 processor, what is the maximum frequency for DDR3 memory

with Intel Core™ i7-960 processor, what is the maximum frequency for DDR3 memory

Hey, I am thinking to buy desktop which have the following configuration:
    • i7-960 Processor.
    • DX58SO/ Intel H67 Chipset Board.
    • RAM 4GB*4 (Corsair) -- 1333 MHz.

My purpose to buy this desktop is to run the VM’s (Hyper V, VM Ware) on it. And the configuration which I have given above is available in the market. I am aware about it that these three components which I am giving is very critical for the computer but I am little confused with the frequency of the RAM/motherboard and the processor. I would like to know that if all these three components will have different frequency then what will be effect on the system. I want to know the overall impact on the functioning of the system.

re: with Intel Core™ i7-960 processor, what is the maximum frequency for DDR3 memory

Hi, I was also facing the same problem. I am using the desktop which have 24gb corsair 1600, but still when I make a check then found that it was running at 1066. Then I try to get some speed by some way but nothing happens. Then I contacted with the Intel service and they told me to update the BIOS, I followed there instruction but not good result. Now it was running at 1333 only. But I think that there must be some problem with my processor speed and also with the motherboard version. So I wil recommend you to do the same thing, since you have the processor and motherboard better than me so it might help you to increase the speed to good level.

re: with Intel Core™ i7-960 processor, what is the maximum frequency for DDR3 memory

According to me, the Intel Core i7 processor supports the DDR3 memory of RAM with the maximum memory speed of 1066 MHz. if you are trying to use the memory which have the frequency more than 1066 MHz, then it might be down-clocked to operate at 1066 MHz. actually this is true, about the same problem I have searched on the internet and I have not found any solution about this problem. But this is true that no buddy will recommend RAM which is faster then 1066 MHz.

I am also suffering from the same problem, I search on the internet about my problem but no response and also I asked on the forums for my problem but no response from there, then I tried on my self only and found that the I7 supports only 1066 MHz maximum memory frequency support, so there is no need to go for the RAM which have the frequency power more then that. If your are going to do this still your processor will work on the same frequency memory.

I think that there is no hard limitation of using the more frequency of the RAM with the i7 processor but it is okay, if you want to use this they you can go ahead but you will not get any extra speed except 1066MHz. so this will just only the waste of money. I will recommend you to not use the RAM which have the more frequency then 1066 MHz. For example, if you want to run DDR3-2000 at full speed on an i7, you need to OC the uncore to at least 4.0GHz.