Thread: In-built SSD in gigabyte z68 board

In-built SSD in gigabyte z68 board

I recently heard that Gigabyte has announced plans to release a motherboard with an integrated SSD in early in few months, accessible from "selected online retailers worldwide. The new board, known as the Gigabyte UD3-iSSD Z68XP-uses the new Intel chipset Z68 and will have a small module of m-SATA SSD that successfully functions as a solid state drive Intel's small 31. Is the value of our expectations?

Re: In-built SSD in gigabyte z68 board

We experienced the smart response expertise and found that Intel successfully delivered SSD speeds generally used data. The only concern was whether the technology was proper for high-end motherboard, although the Gigabyte UD3 mark indicates that this can be very expensive. We requested information on the prices of Gigabyte, but have not had a reply yet.

With a single chip, which is the typical position of Southbridge, Gigabyte has put the SATA-m in the historic location of the Northbridge. This is an intelligent thought, as the SSD is just a bunch of integrated circuits on a PCB - you do not have to change the SSD and out, and will not conflict with connectors or cards from there. In another part of the board seems fairly typical. Use blue and white color scheme Gigabyte (company high-end boards are black these days), but still using the thick curve, heat sinks, which look a bit like plants Hoth.

Given the brand UD3, we were surprised to see a large heat sink of the VRM and the vast majority of the features advertised on the box. With two 16x PCI-E slots, three PCI-E 1x and a pair of PCI slots - plus four SATA 6Gbps and at least a couple of USB ports 3 - is hard to see where Gigabyte has spared. There's even support Virtu lucid, if you fancy giving it.

I'm still not clear about the "Intel Smart Response" thought, if not the SSD is indeed cheap. Or else, why not get a real SSD, say a 64GB Kingston for ~$100, put your O/S and basic applications on it, and do with it? What exactly will be cached by the "ISR" than they normally would on a hard disk on a system with a 64 GB SSD? Data files?

I would like to let you know that I have a 64GB SSD and have Win7 Home Premium, Office 2007, Photoshop CS5, IE9, Opera, Thunderbird, WordPerfect Office X3 Suite, iTunes and a bunch of small applications and still has 25 GB free. All my data (except for my mail files T'bird) is in another user's profile drive.What would benefit most from having small SSD to cache hard drives vs. traditional dish with a SSD OS? (Apparently, a user would not like me!)

It's definitely an interesting development. For suggesting this means you could add a separate one SSD SATA ports and two separate cache or the volume with the use of one additional port SATA instead of two. You might even try to catch one of these until the end of the year or next. Only time will tell what develops next. However, according to the Z68 and caching seems that you have more than 20 GB SSD to cache the large HD, especially if your habit is to use use a number of eclectic programs rather than a select few.