Thread: How to avoid CPU throttling on Lenovo ThinkPad x220

How to avoid CPU throttling on Lenovo ThinkPad x220

Recently I just buy this new Lenovo ThinkPad x220 laptop. The configuration of this laptop is very high and I use this laptop for the gaming and the internet surfing purpose. Now I have faced cpu throttling problem on this laptop. Actually this is not a new issue and not unique to Thinkpads. It just reduced performance. The direct effect to this problem is to be reduced random write ssd and maybe hdd speeds. Hence there will be difficult to run the high configuration application onto it. Thanks for help to solve this problem.

Re: How to avoid CPU throttling on Lenovo ThinkPad x220

The only technique I've found to stop the throttling is to either disable Intel Speedstep or CPU Power Management in the BIOS. You can do this task onto the BIOS and I think you have good knowledge about this BIOS of the system. Then just enter into the BIOS and then try to disable this thing. I’m sure the CPU will be gives right performance and in the result, it will be solve the problem. Then use it and solve your problem.

Lenovo's recently released ThinkPad X220 notebook is suffering from a throttling down CPU. The max performance mode being enabled and the device plugged in and hence throttling happen on your laptop. A similar problem plagued elder ThinkPad’s but the fixes developed for them in Windows not fix the issue in the X220's case. You need to use the BIOS update task on this laptop system. It may be help to fix for the issue.

If the notebook is set to maximum performance and plugged into an outlet, then this kind of problem arrives onto the system. There are many solution available on this problem but the best is to be disabling each Speedstep or Power Management of CPU in the laptop BIOS will stop any upcoming CPU throttling difficulty. Then use this solution and avoid this problem being occurred on future. It works without any problem.

It’s been around a few Intel chipset generations issue. Disabling CPU Power Management is more delicate but it also has considerable effect on laptop battery life. To solve this throttling CPU problem is happen by uses the speed you would like without constantly reducing it to the lowest state. This is to be happening if we did the BIOS update task on this laptop. It works to solve the problem. There are lot of ways to do this BIOS update task on ThinkPad.

Lenovo not directly confess that Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Notebook does usually have CPU throttling crisis. The developer doesn’t know why this happen but most of the time they will be try to avoid such kind of problem. The problem is being actually realize by when expert try to fully handle this CPU of the laptop. In this type of cases, BIOS update or similar kind of process will be work much easier way to avoid such processor problem.