Thread: Want to hook ATA133 CD drive on MSI 890FXA-GD65 motherboard

Want to hook ATA133 CD drive on MSI 890FXA-GD65 motherboard

My computer was having very older configuration so I managed to buy a new motherboard. I have purchased MSI 890FXA-GD65 motherboard. I am having CD drive which is having ATA connector. I want to fix this CD drive to my computer so that I can use it on my computer. I want to know whether I can use this CD drive on my computer. I doubt it because it is too old. So please assist me on this and possibly the guidance regarding this.

Re: Want to hook ATA133 CD drive on MSI 890FXA-GD65 motherboard

You have made nice decision regarding the up gradation. As nowadays much new technology has arrived, thus I had observed that many are planning to upgrade their system. There is no problem in upgrading the system, but the important thing that many don’t make a not is proper advice. In your case you have purchased the new motherboard and I guess that you haven’t taken proper advice on it. I am saying this because this board doesn’t support the CD drive which you are saying.

Correctly said about the up gradation advice because the motherboard you have purchased is not compatible with the ATA drives. As you have mentioned the motherboard here, so I searched for its specifications over internet. I got the complete specifications about your motherboard on MSI official site and found that this board doesn’t support this drives. Hence you won’t be able to use the drive on this motherboard.

Your motherboard is having SATA ports and thus it would support drives with only SATA connector or ports. The CD drive you are having supports ATA connector. This drive fits only in ATA connector and probably your motherboard doesn’t have ATA connectors. That means it would not be compatible with your motherboard. It would be better to have some new drive which is having SATA connector so with that you can use that drive on your motherboard.

As mentioned above the motherboard you are having supports only SATA device. Nowadays you must have observed that all new devices come with SATA connector, so it is better to upgrade your CD drive also. They aren’t costly; you can get it within affordable range. If you don’t want to go for upgrade then there is a controller card which you have to fit on your motherboard. Thus after that you can use this existing drive on your computer.

You all gave me the advises and suggestions very well. I understood the basics by reading this all suggestions. Actually you are correct that I didn’t take any correct advice on buying the motherboard. If I would have done that then I would have purchased the proper motherboard. Well the things have been done now, I just want to know the range of this CD drives and as you have I am planning to go for SATA CD drives. So let me know even about this.

Yes absolutely you are now going on the right path. Actually the CD drives are not much costly; they come around in the range of 1000 – 1300 rupees. It depends on the company you buy. Here I would also suggest you that go for DVD drives. As nowadays no one uses CD and also see that you take DVD writer so that you will be able to write the data on disc rather than just reading the disc. Hope you look on the mentioned advice.