Thread: MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard won’t start my system

MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard won’t start my system

I have a computer comprising following configuration. The motherboard is MSI 890FXA GD70, RAM of 4X4GB of corsair, graphic card of dual Sapphire Radeon 5750Vapor-X along with corsair H70 hydro cooler. This is my fresh built and the problem with it is that my computer won’t start up. I realized this when I tried t start my computer but unfortunately it didn’t booted. So at this time I am little bit upset regarding this as I didn’t recognize the cause of this problem. So please help me soon.

Re: MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard won’t start my system

First of all you need to test the monitor. This would probably be the first step before everyone provides you many complex solutions so verify that the monitor is working properly. It could be like that your computer is working very well and the monitor is its merely problem. Also check for the voltages that motherboard is supplying to every components. Because if these voltage are not accurate then there is a good possibility that your PC won’t turn in any approach.

Then you should try to clear the CMOS. This is necessary in order to wipe out the memory of the motherboard, and thus doing this will return the BIOS settings to their factory default stages. If suppose these settings are incorrect BIOS settings then due to that the computer won’t turn on, also try to load the system defaults from BIOS and then save the settings. I hope these solutions would probably work and would help you in start your computer.

Well I guess that your computer is not getting started because of bad power supply unit. So just perform the PSU check by using the PSU tester which you can get in any electrical shop. This would help you knowing whether your PSU is working properly. Also you should use multimeter in order to get the system voltages. If the output voltages are 3.3V, 12V or 5V then it is perfect. If you find any other voltages then your PSU is bad and you need to change it.

Yes exactly if you are able to get appropriate voltages as mentioned above then your PSU is fine. Then you need to look for some other problem. You should also try to turn the computer on by using just one RAM stick. As you are having more RAM on your slots so that might be causing the problem. Also try to install the RAM in different slot as available and then test whether the computer gets started. Usually having one more sized RAM doesn’t affect the PC, but more RAM could cause the problem.

I think that you may find worst by you should look at your motherboard and should find any short circuit on the motherboard or look at some damage part on your board. You should check that the 4 pin CPU fan wire is plugged in its place. If it is not plugged then the CPU fan would not spin then your computer would even won’t start. Also try that every component is tight inside the motherboard and then start the computer to check the same.

You should check that you get all the LED of the computer ON. If you get these LED on that means that all the connections are proper. If any LED doesn’t get started then you need to fit that particular pin on the board. If possible try to update the BIOS firmware using some utility, so go to your motherboard vendor website and then download the update and also read the instructions on how to do this and hope so doing this would work for you to solve the problem.

I have the same problem with near like configuration as your new build system. Currently I have tried everything and followed step by step but can't seem to get it going. everything seemed to start up fine, all fans and lights comes on...except no video output to my monitor and the FF error flashing in green and my HHD light is blinking red. I read many suggestions, checked and adjusted but can only do so much especially when my monitor shows nothing. not even a beep. How can I further troubleshoot? Please let me know when you find an answer. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OpsG4 View Post
    I have the same problem with near like configuration as your new build system. Currently I have tried everything and followed step by step but can't seem to get it going. everything seemed to start up fine, all fans and lights comes on...except no video output to my monitor and the FF error flashing in green and my HHD light is blinking red. I read many suggestions, checked and adjusted but can only do so much especially when my monitor shows nothing. not even a beep. How can I further troubleshoot? Please let me know when you find an answer. Thanks.
    What is the computer specifications that you are having? Have you tried testing the ram in some other computer with the help of memtest? Also check if the video card is not having the issue, if you have one. What is the power supply that you have, it could be a problem with the power supply as well, you need to test each components seperately so that you can come to a conclusion.

Specs:

- MB: MSI 890FXA-GD70
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T - 3.3 GHz Six Core
    - CPU Cooler: Corsair H70 Sealed System Liquid Cool
    - RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3 PC3-17000 2133MHz DIMM
    - Graphic Card: XFX AMD ATI Radeon HD6970 HD 6970 2GB GDDR5
    - PSU: ATX 750W Gaming PSU
    - HDD: WD 3TB SATA USB 3.0
    - ASUS DRW-24B1ST Internal SATA 24x CD DVD +/-RW DL

System checked: MB CPU Core indicator and Phase lights green and all fans comes on when power up, Video Card fan on and operational and CPU Cooler fan running.

Problems: No Boot (no video output - Black screen), HDD light blinking red, FF error flashing. No beeps.

1. Inspect MB, ensured it's not grounded to the chasis, inspect all pins and connectors. Looks normal.
    2. I checked CPU pins and alignment, OEM paste, and secured with Corsair H70 cooler. Secured properly.
    3. I checked RAM in different slots and with one and both RAM, tried in other computers. Functional.
    4. I checked Monitor, tried with other computer. Functional.
    5. I check PSU voltage with digital meter, all output voltage are correct per Pinout diagram.
    6. I switched Video card to different PCI-E1 through PCI-E4 slots, and no changes.
    7. I uses SATA7 3.0 plug for my WD HDD (not sure if I should use this port).
    8. I reset the MB and no effect.

I did not do the following:
    1. Clear CMOS (Clear CMOS button located all together with all the plugs in the back panel).
    2. Remove the MB battery.
    3. Flash BIOS (don't really want to do this...don't know how).

Should I do the "Did not do"? Please help.