Thread: How to disable Core Parking in Sandy Bridge CPU

How to disable Core Parking in Sandy Bridge CPU

I had noticed on my friend new laptop about working on Sandy Bridge processor. He has a laptop which comes with Intel Core i5-240M processor and MSI based chipset. I found that the second threads two ares are parked. I found this reading in resource monitor. So this can create a issue for an other work were data latency can be effected. His work is based on audio editing and at that time he wants all core to perform at once to give the best output. That can only be done by disabling the Core parking or any other stuff which the cpu has to draw out the raw performance.

Re: How to disable Core Parking in Sandy Bridge CPU

It is possible to do so. For that you might need to do some changes in the Windows registry file. Then only that option can be disabled. For that you have to modify the key -0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 from Windows registry. To do this click on start and in the search box type regedit. Then press Ctrl + F and type this - 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583. It will provide you results of some keys. On the right side you can see ValueMax. The value of this key defines the number of cores to be parked which is by default set to 100%. You can make the value of this to 0 by right clicking and modifying the key. Reboot and then check back. Also set the Value of ValueMin to Zero.

That depends on your need. The above method which is mentioned for Core parking is accurate. Before doing this I will advice you to keep a backup of your registry file. In case of any error or damage in future you can just restore the registry file. This is better way to to keep precaution. For this you can click on File and then click on Export. Choose a secure place to keep the file where you cannot loose it. Do the changes and import the same back to bring your system back to older state.

Core parking is an feature where the other cores are parked when not in use and they draws less power. The other Core i based processors and Sandy Bridge architecture has this ability. The parked core consumes much less power then what is used. This reduces the power consumption and thus strain on the cpu letting a single core to work at maximum potential. It is not really recommended to disable the same. But surely this can affect your performance.

There is one more thing which can affect your cpu's performance especially it is an Sandy Bridge processor. In this there is an option where and dedicated chip on the cpu act as an virtual gpu. The latest information says that graphics unit of the next Sandy Bridge processors deactivated as soon as the separate PCI-Express graphics card slot is used. If your system does not have then that core is activated and if you do not believe in heavy graphic performance then you can choose to stop this to gain more core speed.

Multi core processors are designed to bifurcate your work in different cores and handle the same quiet well. This processors are designed to provide more work in lesser power consumptions. Right now Intel is more planning to provide graphic support over the cpu itself with lower power consumption. The cores are designed to provide better performance at lower power and there is not dedicated utility provided by Intel to manipulate the cores. So this can be risky to some extent.