Thread: My k7t turbo2 drive is not being displayed in DOS

My k7t turbo2 drive is not being displayed in DOS

I've been using a 500 GB disk 1 unit for a while now with XP, but I also do some disk maintenance with DOS programs. When booting into DOS drive is not visible. FDisk can see it is there and shows the ability of the bargaining unit, but states that there are no partitions defined. The three partitions on the disk logically extend NTFS-214GB, 245GB 18GB NTFS and FAT32 (should be E: in DOS).
    Specifically in DOS using Ghost 2002 to create backup images of my OS. Each drive on IDE 0 has a FAT32 partition assigned to images. Also C: is FAT 32 which boot from DOS. So there should be 3 partitions obtainable to my DOS programs. C and D are visible in the disk-0 (232GB), but E: disk-1 (476GB) is not visible. Could there be a hardware / BIOS limit addressed here?

Re: My k7t turbo2 drive is not being displayed in DOS

Pretty sure I used Partition Magic 8 to set up the partitions and formatted with XP. Being with partitions without problems for information storage backup with my OS on another drive. I had check partition information without comment on the anomalies. So I thought maybe this is a hardware restriction that affects DOS only. Really groping here because a lot of great information coming, but have no other wireless solutions. Trying to avoid re-partition and format the larger drive without a definite idea of the results.

We all have our backup solutions. Mine is to turn off system restore and hibernation, relocate the swap file and redirect many folders disorder may pay the operating system to minimize size. I follow the operating system on a undersized dedicated partition. Will hold together and spreads rapidly. To be compact, easy to image and restore. I have no fear of damaging my system with the wrong facilities because all you have to do is reclone the image on the mess and I'm back to a clean system.

Programs such as operating systems can see things while BIOS cannot. The full size hard drive is fairly typical of that, and so are the partition tables. Partition Magic and DOS can be a point of troubleshooting. You may feel you have a very special need for DOS, but I have to refute that. Stubborn as I am: Get a new separate disk, which put on / removed DOS. Take the disk and store in a safe place, if you ever need it again. All or pretty darn close to all DOS tools are available on Windows, too. Click Start, open Run and type CMD and enter. You get a DOS screen. Type CHKDSK, FDISK, FIXBOOT, or anything you want to handle hard drives.

As I think that the Windows xp requires service pack 1 and integrated which will help to deal with drives over 137 GB and 48 bit lb. Well I would be able to guess the ghost of that age where it either need service pack or you may require a newer version for the drives over 137 GB. Well you can try doing this and I am not sure this will work and if really works do reply it may be helpful to others.

The integrity of an image of the OS would be better protected if the image is made when the operating system is asleep. Mainly to avoid the problems arising from writing to disk, while the image is being made. I cannot relax on my computer unless you know my OS and data are backed up by what is necessary to have the means to accomplish tasks. Every time I backup my OS I do it from a boot disk. Data from the other part is easily obtained with the timing or band within Windows. Since DOS cannot read my larger hard drive I had to find an alternative solution. And I did in the Terabyte software that uses a direct disk access, bypassing the BIOS. What happened in all the information and the disk partition information is read in the last days is that the BIOS v3. 6 on the old forum have a limitation read somewhere after 232GB and 476GB before.

I can think of only two extra diagnostic possibilities I'd consider exploring. It's a Western Digital disk, so you might download WDC's DLG, let it inspect the disk, and/or poke through the disk's firmware settings to see if anything looks out of place. Since we expect some kind of disk size restriction, you could tinker with the disk's SETMAX setting to artificially decrease the obvious disk size to see if there's a point where the partition table magically re-emerge. SETMAX can be modified with DLG or other tools like HDAT2 and FTOOL.