Thread: P7N SLI Platinum motherboard shows wrong RAM information

P7N SLI Platinum motherboard shows wrong RAM information

I was having a much older computer so I thought of upgrading the computer with most new configuration. So I bought MSI P&N SLI platinum motherboard and I also bought two OCZ DDR2 PC2 – 8500 RAM memory for my computer. So when I started my computer with this configuration then I observed that only one of the RAM have got detected and also the model number of RAM doesn’t match with the one I have and also speed detected is less. So let me know what exactly the problem is.

Re: P7N SLI Platinum motherboard shows wrong RAM information

I guess that you might not have installed the RAM properly on your motherboard and this would be the cause of the problem. I mean that the RAM might not have been attached properly to the slot and due to this the motherboard is not able to recognize it properly. So for that you need you need to again attach the RAM properly on your board. So just confirm the same and then try to see again whether you are getting the proper RAM information.

There are several ways where you can get the actual system information of your computer. Usually users don’t use any application for this and they use the BIOS in order to know all detail configuration from which they can get the exact information. I would recommend you to use CPU-Z utility. I have found this as a best utility to check for system information. So just check that this utility gives you the same RAM information or different one.

I would suggest you to go to BIOS and then check for this information here. There might be some wrong settings which might have caused in BIOS and thus due to that you are getting improper information. So you may try to load the default settings of BIOS so that it would revert all the settings done to BIOS and would give you the factory reset settings for your computer. You just have to select load system defaults in BIOS and then save these settings and then boot the computer.

Yes I agree on the point that there would be some wrong settings done on your BIOS. You are also getting the slow speed of RAM. If you meant that the BIOS detect the less RAM frequency then loading defaults would help you to get the normal one. If this doesn’t help then you need to manually configure BIOS for the needed settings. I have found that the RAM you are having offers you 1066MHz so for that under BIOS settings you need to set it as half of that figure i.e. 533 and save the same and observe for change.

If the system detects only one RAM, also if you are having the two modules inserted. So just check that all the RAM slots of motherboard are working properly. You can verify this by just shifting the RAM to other slot and then just by checking it by inserting only one RAM. I also doubt that if you have purchased the RAM from any local vendor then he might have given you other model RAM chip, thus computer is doing its right job, but due to this you are getting such information.

I even think that you might have got some different model chip. You need to verify the same by having a look at the RAM chip, usually you will find a sticker over the RAM where particular information is written so match that accordingly. If all these information is proper, but still you are getting wrong information then you might need to update your BIOS firmware, thus now it would be able to detect the latest device and hope so it now provides you the correct information.