Thread: What are the features of MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard

What are the features of MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard

Hello all. My friend is looking to buy new Motherboard for his computer and I am trying to help him out in that process. So, basically this particular thread is on his behalf and not me. So, I looked upon for some Motherboards which my other friends use in their system. My brother recommended to get the MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard. So I just wanted to know some more details, features, specifications about the MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard. It would be very kind of you guys to help me and my friend.

Re: What are the features of MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard

Specifications of MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard
    • Socket - AM3
    • CPU (Max Support) - Phenom II
    • AM3 CPU Ready - Yes
    • FSB / Hyper Transport Bus - up to 2.6GHz
    • Chipset - NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI
    • DDR2 Memory - N/A
    • DDR3 Memory - DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600*/1800*/2133*(OC)
    • Memory Channel - Dual
    • DIMM Slots - 4
    • Max Memory (GB) - 16
    • PCI-Ex16 - 3
    • PCI-E Gen - Gen2 (1x16, 1x16, 1x8)
    • PCI-Ex4 - N/A
    • PCI-Ex1 - 2
    • PCI - 2
    • IDE - 1
    • SATA - 6
    • RAID - 0/1/0+1/5/JBOD
    • LAN - 10/100/1000*1
    • TPM - 1
    • USB ports (Rear) - 4
    • Audio ports (Rear) - 6
    • Serial ports (Rear) - N/A
    • Parallel ports (Rear) - N/A
    • 1394 ports (Rear) - 1
    • eSATA - N/A
    • VGA - 1
    • DVI - 1
    • HDMI - 1
    • Display Port - N/A
    • DirectX - DX10.1
    • VGA Share Memory (MB) - 512
    • Form Factor - ATX
    • DrMOS - N/A
    • APS - Yes
    • Sideport Memory - N/A
    • SLI - Yes
    • 3-way SLI - Yes
    • Hybrid SLI - Yes
    • CrossFire - N/A
    • Hybrid CrossFire - N/A
    • D-LED2 - N/A
    • Green Power Genie - N/A

This motherboard is part of the Gaming series from MSI. According to me the looks of MSI NF980-G65 are pretty good. The printed circuit board or PCBis black in color instead of the usual dark brown.The Heatsinks are covering the voltage regulator modules in it. You will find that the Northbridge and the Southbridge are connected to each other with the help of heatpipes, which helps in cooling the Motherboard. This cooling system is connected with the help of metal screws rather than the usual plastic push-pins and springs.

The heatsink supports upto 140W CPUs. It has got DDR3 slots. The NF980-G65 is accompanied with PCI-E x16 slots for up to a 3-way SLI setup. They are integrated with two x1 slots and two legacy PCI slots. The onboard GeForce 8300 has a VGA, DVI and HDMI output. The Motherboard has got one Firewire, one Gigabit LAN and unfortunately only four USB ports.The NF980-G65 is the only board which has got DDR3 slots along with the NVIDIA chipset. The NF980-G65 Motherboard comes along with four SATA cables which are of standard version with small metal locks in them.

The MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard comes along with this very good feature which is that the board have its own Active Power Phase Switching. The technology is build in such a way that it will allow the power circuitry to cut down to a considerable amount, thus saving the energy. The Motherboard has got 4 LEDs on the top right corner which clearly shows the Active Power Phases. The user can activate the following utility or function in his/her Motherboard from the BIOS.

The MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard provides the user with many features including many advanced BIOS features. When you start the BIOS menu, you will notice, it has got a BIOS flash protection. The safety is doubled as it is paired with the BIOS password. It is possible to monitor every small detail like the voltages, temperatures and fan speeds etc of your Motherboard in the PC health status. It is now possible for users to set the system fans speed to one particular percentage. Overall the MSI Motherboard works pretty smoothly along with its NForce 980a chipset

The best feature in MSI NF980-G65 motherboard is that it has got switch for quick overclocking which is soldered directly onto the motherboard. The quick overclock switch can be turned ON or OFF with the help of the two levers which is provided in the switch. I am in total love with the MSI NF980-G65 motherboard and its amazing features. So I would also suggest you to get this and enjoy it. Also the NVIDIA chipset will add up to the graphic quality.