Thread: Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM running at 667Mhz

Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM running at 667Mhz

Hello guys i am having an Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard with 4x2GB kingston ram and a i7-2600 processor. Well it is very sad to see that my ram is only running at 667mhz however the strange thing is that I have not changed anything from the defaults in the bios. So tell me what should I do to make it run on the correct speeds? Please give some solution as you all are technically sound and I am sure you will be able to get me out of this problem. One more thing that I would like to add here is that bios says that the ram is running at 1333mhz while ASUS AI suite system is telling some other story.

Re: Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM running at 667Mhz

See my friend there is a very simple logic for it. The motherboard defaults any RAM to 1333MHz speed. If you try and set the RAM to XMP in the BIOS that will solve the speed issue for you. It should be considered as 666.6 x 2 (because memory is Dual Data Rate) and that will result in to 1333. When you switch it to XMP, it will read as 667 or whatever the reading that you are getting there in ASUS AI Suite. So hope this logic is clear for you all. I am quite sure you must have understood this simple logic.

Thanks for the solution that you have given here well let me tell you that Yes I already tried with the method the thing is that I have already gone over the bios many number of times and nowhere have I found anything about XMP. However I was able to find a datasheet for my ram and then I manually set the voltages and timings and so now the bios is saying that it is running at 1600MHz. However the AI suite in windows still says 667mhz. Now what can be the cause here.

Ok then do one thing just go to the AI Tweaker menu and from there go to the AI Overclock Tuner setting. Once you get there just adjust the ram speed the timings and the also the voltage automatically. So that’s what the changes that you have to make here and also one more thing that I would like to remind you about is that XMP that you were talking of that you were not able to find there might be a possibility that it might be enabled by default.

Ok let me come again see when it adjusts auto it gets sets to 1333MHz at 1.5v with 9-9-9-24 timings. Now when I try to manually set them in the bios to the correct values it shows that they are set however when i enter windows it reports the old auto values for me so that’s really sick I am really tired as of now on what else should I try tp get rid of the problem, I mean I agree with you all but on entering windows it all goes, so that’s the problem here.

I suppose you are not using the save and exit option while you are applying this setting so make sure that you make the optimum use of it so that's what I want to say here. Just hit the F10 button and that is enough for you. So thats what i think is missing from your list of procedures and rest all of them are looking fine for me. So hope you all have understood what i am trying to say here.