Thread: AMD AM2+/AM3 housing fan removal

AMD AM2+/AM3 housing fan removal

i have a dead main board the Asus M4A785-M with the AMD AMD ATHLON II X4 635 - ADX635WFGIBOX and. the Original equipment manufacturer Thermal glue is not letting the processor to come out and the board will not power up to heat the thermal glue up so i could remove it in one piece. i was stuck in the same situation before this at that time the housing fan and the processor got stuck with each other and when it was taken apart the pins of the processor were bent and damaged. so can you suggest me a trick to remove that with out damaging the processor and the main board as i have to send it to Return merchandise authorization.

Re: AMD AM2+/AM3 housing fan removal

grip it with a mitts and use the heat gun to aim right at the heat sink or you could try the hair dryer. or if that does not work try to heat it up to 65 Celsius it is under the regulated range of heat a CPU can take. it will not damage it and help remove the processor. why don't you try the oven !!!!caution do not use microwave for this!!!! use the normal oven and try to heat it up. there is really nothing to it.

that is not at all a good idea are you guy out of you mind the hair dryer idea is good but the oven??? whats that about, i think you guys do not know that the arm actuates are the sliding plastic which locks the central processing unit at its place. you do not need to do that just try to twist it but gently and it will come out. its not needed to be heated for it to be removed. definitely not in the oven.

that's right you do not need to heat it in the oven any thing i have also faced the same problem before but you can also try to heat it up till around 30c for 20 minutes with the hair dryer and do not forget to unscrew the back plate before you do that. and aim the hair dryer at the fins of the heat sink. 20 minutes is not that much time if it come to saving some bucks by not damaging the processor.

just try gently twisting the housing fan back and forth until it comes out and you do not need to twist it to much as it will obviously damage something in the process. and there is no need for heating though i mush accept that i have never been through such a problem ever but that should probably work for you. this is how i have seen some people taking the processor out in the videos if you want to refer one for this try out the you tube.

sure you can go with all their ideas or else just let it stay in the socket and try tapping it from one side and keep the main boards fan side to your right right hand and be sure to remove the plastic safity of the main board before doing that and keep on tapping on the fan for a little while until it comes off and keep an eye open if you are accidentally damaging any other part. this works for me every time but it need some practice.