Thread: How to utilize MSI 890GXM-G65 - E Sata port

How to utilize MSI 890GXM-G65 - E Sata port

Hello guys, I have MSI 890GXM-G65 motherboard with E-Sata port. I have no idea about how the ports of motherboard works, Can you guys help me on this topic. I don’t how to utilize this port, how to connect this port to HDD? Guys please suggest me some solutions. Can I use Sata HDD and can I connect that to this E-Sata port using Sata cable? If there any other solution to this please give the solution so that at least I can utilize that port.

Re: How to utilize MSI 890GXM-G65 - E Sata port

Hey even I had the E-Sata port in my motherboard. I had the same doubt in the beginning so I had gone through many sites and forums and found the solution on this site only. The E-Sata port on the motherboard is normally on the back of motherboard to connect to the an external Sata HDD. Some drive manufacturer provides a lead, which is used to connect the drive to that E-Sata port, I had got it with drive which was from LaCie. Otherwise you have to search for it.

Ya right buddy even I had the Lacie and it provided the lead with drive to connect with E-Sata port. If you want to have a look at that lead or cable to go to official website of Lacie then select your region and after that click on the the products and then on next page in accessories click on the cables and on next page look for Lacie flat cables. This is used to connect to external drive, and it can’t be used to connect to the internal drive, for that different cable is used.

Dude even I was looking for similar query from last 2-3weeks, and what I have found through these forums is power over cable, you can search for it on ebay it’s Power Over eSATA USB 3.5" eSATAp 22 pin Adapter Cable for 13.60$, I bought it and I had connected external Sata 900GB drive to E-Sata Combo port using that cable. But I didn’t find the drive on my system. So do I need to change some settings in BIOS? So guys please suggest if you have any idua about this query. Thanks in advance.

Dude I think you bought the wrong cable because as far as MSI 890GXM-G65 concerned there is no combo port, there is only 1 s-Sata port and 2 USB 3.0 ports. E-Sata is not powered port, if it was a powered port then it was an E-Satap not E-Sata. In my point of view you are using wrong cable that is for laptops not for the computers. I would suggest you guys to visit nearest service center to get the right cable, you will get it easily, and won’t waste money unnecessarily.

That’s so nice of you guys, this forum site is really amazing. No other sites users have provided such quick replies. If you guys haven’t provided your suggestions and experienced I would have bought the wrong cable and it would have cost me money as well as waste of time. Now at least I know what I don’t have to buy, will call the original equipment manufacturer to get the right lead. Thank you guys for guiding me in this situation.