Thread: Upgrade Socket 939

Upgrade Socket 939

I am presently using my old socket 939 to build from 2006 as my Linux server. It wondered if it would be worth upgrading the CPU to a 3800 + X2 3800 + or higher? You think it's worth the $20 to upgrade a computer from 6 years? What you all thought about this? Anyone has any idea or any recommendations for me? Please if anyone find any idea or any useful information for this than please provide me.

Re: Upgrade Socket 939

I believe that even high-end chips S939 would be very cheap nowadays. Just get the fastest you can afford. For what it's worth, my previous generation had a 3800 + X2. It is a 2GHz chip, but I got up to 2.4 GHz on stock cooling. If I had a better HSF, I probably would have exceeded 2.6 GHz. At 2.4 GHz with 2 GB of RAM, which still serves solid right to my workplace and my photo-editing system? For general use, works well. Not bad for a box built for over 5 years. The advantage of going to multiple cores cannot really be underestimated, I think. It made a big difference in my experience.

I did a few years ago. It’s not worth upgrading this shot now. I went from a single 2.2 to a dual 1.6. I paid almost 60 for the chip and 60 for ram XPS. Could have spent that much of a new board. Not more than 5 months later, the video on board died. PC sale on craigslist and retire him. I've been finding ASUS P4 Dual Dell servers to 100 or less on Craigslist recently. Just my opinion. I would be sold or against the update. Good luck!

More technology "new" always seems to cost a fortune, because of limited stock and plenty of ignorant people that will spend more money for less performance. If you have to attach with 939 to acquire the chip utilized on eBay, and your unique question, yes, for what you do, I think its worth fall 20 to $30 for a bit additional life to a machine that clearly have limited use and may not want to rebuild completely.

Here I also wish to add something. It really depends on whether the current server is powerful enough and if so, if the processor is the bottleneck. If so, then adding CPU ~ 100% more to solve the problem? If current processes are not responsible for the delay of the process, but your server is struggling to keep up, would be the best way to upgrade the hardware you need. If not, is only $ 20 and wounded usual.

I guess it all depends on what "development use" really means. How often does this take? It seems that this is the only place to see an improvement. Folding, of course, should improve (unless python spends all his time trying to acquire the GIL). SABnzbd seems to be written in python, though I doubt if torrent programs still use it. Legacy python code has some big problems with multiprocessors. This is not only the design "is only running on one processor at a time" bit that was intended, is a "do both CPUs run slower than a single core." I have no idea what to expect from this problem, but I thought I'd point out. I am pretty sure it's possible to migrate or MPM, or rewrite codebase to ignore the threads on multiple CPUs (probably just not stack migration). Almost half as old as the case may be a code problem.