Thread: Which setup would be faster: Pentium D or Dual Xeon

Which setup would be faster: Pentium D or Dual Xeon

Memory scores better with Presler, - probably will also result due to new chipset game a little better, the bandwidth of memory, CPU power etc will be better with the Xeon, where you can find things that take advantage of CPUs. Nor just shouting distance of each other in the performance of a single or double screw thread. But I would follow the advice because the dual Xeon CPU is more versatile - especially if you want goods to do the job VM. Get 8 GB of RAM for the installation and install Windows 7 and actually have some life left in that old equipment. Dual CPU with hyperthreading allows 4 threads of the CPU. Cannot ask for much more of such quasi-quad core right now because there is not much support.

Re: Which setup would be faster: Pentium D or Dual Xeon

That's something I was thinking, but I was not sure if the additional bandwidth of system memory Pentium D would be so important. Another thing that made no mention of the systems are the graphics, the Pentium D has a Quadro FX 3450 and the Xeon has a Quadro FX 3500. But that is interchangeable. I loaded Windows 7 on your Xeon now to try to get some performance numbers.

Quadro is really crap if you want to play, it is not their purpose. Sell it and buy a newer card game. If money is tight, just pick one 9800GT forums here and you'll be in pig heaven for most settings is nothing new in the medium and high resolution, high settings or medium resolution. If you want high settings in the appearance of high resolution for a budget price GTX460 and call it a day. (For the record I prefer Nvidia cards). If you do not intend to play then hold the Quadro better of the two you have. They are a good workstation, CAD card type.

A team for any games? You should feel no object is not the original reason that we all have computers here? After some reference points that I'm sure the Xeon despite being older are faster than the Pentium D. However, the memory bandwidth of the latest chipset i955 is much higher than the E7525. How important is the bandwidth of memory? Even older i865 and i875 chipsets are faster.

Technically, both systems are roughly equal in performance; however, the dual-Xeon system is slowed not only by the slowness of RAM, but also registered ECC RAM. In addition, the CPU Irwindale is a process a little more than the CPU Presler (90nm vs. 65 nm). The Irwindale is approximately equal to a late-Prescott model. I have proved myself to take the extra 2 wires of the Xeons are more advantageous to me that only two cores of Pentium D. But how big of an impact on the performance of the RAM slower than the Xeons to be?

All things being equal the difference between these two systems is reduced to the bus. In a dual processor board each processor has a bus to the Northbridge RAM / processor, you should give a better overall performance then what is available in a single processor card. Until just run a single application of a single thread, the difference in the derivation of buses to improve the overall performance of Xeon processors. On the negative side of the Xeons will power than the Pentium D.

I've looked at the product page on the Intel Xeon before and show that they have hyperthreading. But I can see that in fact have hyperthreading. So in terms of cores / threads between the two, am I right in thinking that the Pentium D has two cores running two threads, while the Xeon has two cores that can execute four threads? On the stage and Xeon ECC memory is only DDR2-3200, while the Pentium D is non-ECC DDR2 running at 5300. It said earlier that the difference in memory performance would be noticed only in games (which I do) and synthetic benchmarks. Both of these systems are already full. The HP xw6200 is a Xeon and Pentium D is a XW4300. I do not want to deal with the hassle of selling them, and then build something new. Both of these PC's are perfectly capable of doing what I need to do.