Thread: Does AMD/ATI support chipset drivers for Windows 7

Does AMD/ATI support chipset drivers for Windows 7

I have a MSI 785GM-P45 m ATX motherboard and a X4 Phenom II to go along with it. Now when you use the motherboard driver disk it just installs the catalyst drivers when you click on chipset driver install. I have Win 7 Home Premium and have a Catalyst 10.11 drivers installed in my system. Also when I go into the device manager, all of the devices in the system devices section are generic Windows drivers. So my question is that does the AMD/ATI support chipset drivers for Windows 7? Please do reply on this issue.

Re: Does AMD/ATI support chipset drivers for Windows 7

I had a look at your query and I feel that even this is normal with you. Also I would tell you that the driver's are not as old as you think. The AMD 700 series chipset has been around since 2007and according to me the Windows 7 came out in 2009 and you can guarantee that AMD had Microsoft integrate their driver into Windows 7. So you don’t have to worry much about it. If AMD felt there were reasons to release a driver update to your core motherboard devices then they would have done it before itself.

I have another solution to this query. What you can do is that you can try to install the drivers for north and south bridge chipsets with catalyst manually. Do perform this step if you are concerned or you want a different driver. However I guess that sometimes it's better to use the AMD AHCI driver and sometimes it’s better to use the straight up Microsoft driver. My device manager looks basically the same except for the AMD SATA controller. So I think that the AMD/ATI support chipset drivers for Windows 7.

Thanks a lot for your replies. But I would let you that it’s a bit unusual to believe that we should be using basic Microsoft drivers dated the year 2006. But whatever it is let’s say that it is fine. But I would like to know that why video performance is worse on the AMD based HTPC? Also the new Phenom II X4 based HTPC cannot play Windows Media Center Internet TV content without dropping frames. I also installed an Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB video card in the AMD system along with the latest Nvidia drivers and it made no difference.

I would suggest you to try using the absolute latest version of flash. You can also try installing the AMD drivers for the onboard video of that motherboard. I think that it’s some sort of a configuration issue. I have a friend whose Athlon II X4 635 CPU along with the Bio star 760G motherboard plays flash content perfectly fine. That is with the certified MS drivers and it’s the same when I add in the HD 5770 card as well.

I had just built a similar system for my friend and would tell you that the Aero performance was very bad .Any video higher than standard resolution cracked and windows rated it as a 2. After I set the BIOS to 256m the speed doubled and the 1080P plays fine and then the score around a 4.4. Did you hard set a memory size for video in your bios? But I am sure that the AMD/ATI support chipset drivers for Windows 7.So you don’t have to worry about it much.