Thread: MSI K9A2 Platinum V1 with ATHLON II x4 620 OC processor displays blue screen

MSI K9A2 Platinum V1 with ATHLON II x4 620 OC processor displays blue screen

I have got an Athlon II x4 620 quad core CPU.I had a BIOS of version 1.4 previously and then I upgraded it to the latest version of 1.9. After that all went well with the flash so hence I proceeded to install the Athlon in place of my old am2 5000+ Brisbane Athlon x2. It booted very nicely and was noticeably faster than my old CPU. I then rebooted and went into BIOS and then dropped my RAM divider so that my Ram was 667 and bumped the front side bus until I reached 3.2. I rebooted and as soon as windows started to boot a blue screen occurred. Then I tried to lower the CPU voltages slightly and tried to boot again but the same thing blue screen. So can anyone tell me why this blue screen gets displayed continuously?

Re: MSI K9A2 Platinum V1 with ATHLON II x4 620 OC processor displays blue screen

I think that you need to just clear the CMOS and then try to over lock step by step. Before taking the over clocking make sure the PC is ok at stock clocks and then only you go ahead with over clock. Also make sure that you are using high quality RAM, BSODS usually indicate bad RAM. Also set the manufacturer recommended voltages for the memory in BIOS. Also make sure you disabled the Spread Spectrum, CnQ and Auto Disable DIMM PCI options in BIOS.

Re: MSI K9A2 Platinum V1 with ATHLON II x4 620 OC processor displays blue screen

I was just trying to follow some methods to get away with the problem. So while doing it I just started to boot at 3.25 GHZ and then had to make the voltage to 1.535 which is for me slightly on the higher side. The NB frequency had to be increased up as well. The bus speed is at 250MHZ .And I think that dropping the HT multiplier to 4 will make some difference. This is what I tried doing but it didn’t work properly for me.

I had a look at your problem and I feel that you are putting too much voltage into that CPU. The voltage of 1.535 is very high according to me and you need to lower that one immediately. Also for me you need to keep the spread spectrum off while over clocking. Even this will help you a lot. The voltage is added after you take the juice out at the default voltage and to minimize the heat and integrity risks. Also lowering HT multiplier helps in getting better HTT. So you can check out these things and see if it works or not.

Thank you for your solutions and you replies. I had actually noticed that spread spectrum is ENABLED. Would that make a huge difference in OC stability? But then I lowered the voltage considerably and also lowered the NB frequency. I kept the bus speed same as it was before. And this immediately made some difference. The screen is now normal and it doesn’t shows up blue screen now. I hope that the problem has been solved and wouldn’t occur again. So I would like to once again thank you for your solution which helped me to fix the problem.