Thread: AHCI on MSI 890GXM-G65 motherboard

AHCI on MSI 890GXM-G65 motherboard

I am going to build a new computer tomorrow. For that reason I have collected several peripherals and they are as follows:
    • Motherboard: MSI 890GXM-G65
    • Processor: AMD 945
    • SSD: Corsair F60 40GB
    • RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

Before configuring the computer I went to read the manual of the motherboard. While reading I have got several information but I couldn’t able to find one thing and that is AHCI is accessible for the Southbridge controller. (I will not make use of JMicron). Does anybody have information regarding this?

Re: AHCI on MSI 890GXM-G65 motherboard

It seems to me that you include the blue SATA3 ports offered by the chipset and two SATA2 ports provided by JMicron. It looks like that you must have two SATA controllers. I don't discern this for a reality except I have been told that several CD/DVD drives will not function on AHCI. You ought to be capable to set the SB850 controllers (Sata3-blue) toward AHCI and configure the jmicron controller to IDE (White ports) intended for CD/DVD. If the HDD with OS installed on them and were installed within IDE mode, while you connect them into an AHCI enabled port, you may perhaps not be capable to notice them.

I have just purchased one SSD Drives, if I alter the BIOS settings; will both the blue as well as white SATA ports be capable to work in AHCI mode? What I am going to carry out is connect the SSD Drive inside one of the white SATA ports on top of the motherboard since these are the advanced speeds away of the two and after that the additional drives will be within the blue SATA ports on same motherboard. I am conscious that I will almost certainly necessitate reinstalling Windows one more time.

The fine reports is, the SB850 Southbridge is definitely superior than the SB710 it is restoring. The terrible reports are, although we’re utilizing a SATA 3.0 drive on top of a SATA 3.0 controller, it is not quicker than Intel’s SATA 2.0 controller lying on H55. Even if the SB850 had an improved Burst score, the Read as well as Write scores is matching to SB710. Yet again, HDTach doesn’t accurately inform the entire tale, however it’s not like SB710 was an awful performer. They’re both enhanced than SB600, which had totally broken AHCI.

A motherboard chipset that designed on the freshly initiated AMD 785 chipset, it has been somewhat modified even if and is currently matching through the every part of new AMD SB850 Southbridge chip. Keywords in favor of this chipset are further CPU compatibility, superior IGP presentation, augmented bandwidth on behalf of the fresh technologies, entrenching a Gigabit Ethernet within the SB850 chip and surprisingly AMD has previously put in a SATA 6G controller within the same chip, which was a radiant entitle to create.

I the motherboard the Physical layers (PHYs) for each and every one 3 connections (SATA, USB 2.0, USB 3.0) are on top of chipset. The SPI will be able to connect to an outside flash device intended for booting, otherwise firmware information can be distributed by the use of a USB HID interface. The SATA sophisticated host controller interface (AHCI) host bus adapter can be utilized following the firmware is operating.