Thread: Switching the motherboard of Dell XPS 420

Switching the motherboard of Dell XPS 420

I have recently bought a new Dell XPS 420 before some time and I want to know that the would it be okay to change the motherboard of this laptop this much earlier. I mean to say its been only few months that I have bought this machine and I guess it would be working better if I can make a SLI setup on this machine. First of all is it possible to get the such motherboard on this machine or not.

Re: Switching the motherboard of Dell XPS 420

If its been onyl few months then I won't be suggesting you to replace the motherboard of your machine as it is better to use the same motherboard at least for a single year as it would be having a warranty of at least one year that for which you can use it upto its maximum limit. If there would be any problem with the motherboard then you can give check to it from the company itself by claiming the warranty.

One of my friend was having the same series of the Dell desktop to which he was thinking to replace the motherboard with the new one which was having bit more compatibility then the current one. But when he tried the same then he came to know that the Dell used proprietary plugs for the on/off and reset switches. Since it comes with the non ATX compliant case, there are possibility that the Dell motherboard might have a odd kind of socket for those switches. Same problem might be arriving with the hard drive plugs as well.

There is only an issue with the sockets and connections of the Dell desktop that company gives with the brand new machine, because they are bit weird which can be modified by only some hardware engineer. I think you need to break up those connections and rigid sockets settings and then start making the new one for the new hardware that you want to add up to your new machine. Now this does not seems to be possible with the ordinary user at home.