Thread: Power consumption is more in Intel core i7 processors

Power consumption is more in Intel core i7 processors

I have read across various articles which claim that Intel core i7 processors have large power consumption than the other core processors like i3 and i5. According to my knowledge the basic difference between the i5 and the i7 processors is the 1MB of cache. I was planning to go with the i7 processor thinking that it has a good performance and at the same time energy efficient. So is this true I want you all to put some light on this topic. Since I am very bothered about this particular news. I am waiting for your responses.

Re: Power consumption is more in Intel core i7 processors

Yes that’s true even I have heard about this. Well let me tell you it would be better to go with the core i5 simply because it delivers the performance and upon that it is power efficient than the other core processors. Well there is hardly any difference in the speed of the processors here. Even I am quite surprised to hear about this. Since both of them have identical design and also have a same features. So there is nothing great about it. Still i7 consumes 25% of more energy than the core i5. So you don’t have to worry about the decision I would advice you to go with the core i5 then the core i7.

Even I am quite confused about the fact that it uses so much power. What is in the i7 that is causing it to consume more power. The difference in the cache can be taken in to the consideration. Since I have noticed in various such applications that it uses every bit of the cache that are reserved. So the usage of the cache memory is quite well sued in the core i7. Still it does not serves the fact that it uses so much power. So anyone of you having any idea what is there in the i7 such that it is allowing it to use more power? Do clear out my confusions as well.

I think a lot of people have not read the reviews about the core i7 properly . If you read it carefully then it will be specified that the peak power consumption of the core i7 would be higher than the processors. Well the peak power consumption is quite essential especially to keep the system coll during the running of the program. Upon that if the peak power consumption is high then it is very good sign of the processor because the work will get done much faster and also the idle time remaining will be higher. So the machine consumes less power during the idle time. So you don’t have to worry about the rise in the peaks power consumption because it is beneficial for the system only. So I hope you have understood what I am trying to say.

Ok, thanks for solving out with my query. Well let me tell you this thing was bothering me for quite some time and hence I was unable to make a proper choice for my laptop’s processor. Anyways after reading your suggestions and views I have cleared out all my queries. It was quite informative and also understandable. So I need to thank you all for all the efforts that you have put In to solve the issue. It was a great effort from your side.