Thread: Need help to setup multiple module rams on my system

Need help to setup multiple module rams on my system

Let us assume I have 4x1 Gigabyte ram sticks that I am running on a on a dual channel mode, if I place 3 sticks of ram, will 2 of them function as dual whereas the other as a single, or will all of them function as distinct Ram ? On a triple channel mode, if i place 2 sticks will they function as dual? or triple channel motherboards works only with the triple channel? If I place 4 sticks of RAM in a triple channel, will 3 function as triple channel whereas the other as a single, or will they all function at dual channel, or will they all function at single channel? Thanks in advance.

Re: Need help to setup multiple module rams on my system

How the memory controller respond to memory that is not consistently distributed throughout the channels relies on the memory controller. A few of them need the memory to be squarely distributed and others do not. So the response is: check out the manual. Iit is not regarding speed, it is regarding parallelism and throughput. The speed that the RAM functions at has relation with how much channels present there . If you have two channel memory that functions at some speed "X", then the throughput is double of that since you have two of them working at the same time. But the speed of every RAM is the same, and the speed doesn't alter if you take away one DIMM RAM .

Well if you ask my opinion It is similar to stating that cars which are running some speed can drive in only single traffic lane or in dual traffic paths . The speed is identical in both scenarios , but with two paths you can make travel twice as many people per hour. My consideration is that all will work at the speed of the RAM that is working at the slowest rate of speed .

Well, we require to know what sort of system you are saying about ? I7-900 series are the only cpu's that are compatible with the triple channel, which needs 3 sticks, 4 sticks will make function in dual channel mode. All other remaining will work in dual channel while making the 2-4 sticks of memory and if you make use of 3 sticks will work in sole channel, except you can ungang the RAM . Other than that, that is it.