Thread: Is it possible to upgrade single dual core to two dual core in Dell Precision 6900

Is it possible to upgrade single dual core to two dual core in Dell Precision 6900

I've inherited a Precision 690 and I'd like to upgrade the processor would like to have a dual quad processor because it is a bit quicker than what I have currently is a single dual-core Xeon Dempsey. I had a chat to Dell and they alleged the motherboard I have only supports adding another Dempsey dual core at over $450. I believed that whether 2 Xeon Dempseys in there would be quicker than a brand new Intel/AMD quad core. Can I or scrap the Dell motherboard/cpu/ram and get something off Newegg? Is it possible to upgrade single dual core to two dual core in Dell Precision 69. Does somebody know whether that case is ATX or some kind of Dell proprietary thing? Probably should get new case if that's the case.

Re: Is it possible to upgrade single dual core to two dual core in Dell Precision 690

Let suppose that if you contain a 2.4 GHZ CPU as well as you make a decision to add another 2.4GHZ CPU then your system will still get speeds 2.4GHZ. The additional CPU's you have the more programs you can run at on one occasion but the programs will still run at the speed the CPU is rated at. An additional method of putting it is your computer will not run at 4 GHz if you contain two 2 GHz CPU's installed.

Re: Is it possible to upgrade single dual core to two dual core in Dell Precision 690

It is a BTX cabinet (and BTX motherboard of course). Not precisely "Dell proprietary", but it might additionally be. Just receiving an ATX case won't fix no matter which you also have the BTX form feature motherboard. You should be capable to geet an additional Xeon Dempsey for around $170 if you shop in the PC store. And the product called as the Xeon 5063 of the speed of 3.2 GHz. The socket 775 edition would be the Pentium D 940 3.2Ghz (about $90 currently) and you must be able to find benchmarks to evaluate that with the present quads.

Motherboard with latest revision MY171 (see mainboard label): upgrade bios to rev A08, motherboard with previous revision DT029 and F9395: flash bios to rev A01 (latest versions don´t function properly through Quadcore on older motherboards), delete bios battery as well as mains-plug for 3 minutes to obtain a full bios reset, then return battery an start the system. The bios will detect all drives and new cpu type during initial start. Don´t overlook to set system time following to restart. Flashing Bios to rev A01 is able to simply be complete in DOS form from a diskette drive, to find the file utilize search utility on DELL support side, query: dell 690 bios a01. My system (motherboard DT029, bios A01) didn´t illustrate any problems with win7 64bit and Quad core CPU Xeon E5355 (2.35MHz) with this bios amendment.

1. It’s a Dell, they produce their own mobos. They simply get the chipset from some other manufacturer.
    2. Dell doesn’t have an upgrade with related to cpu.
    3. Intel won't assist you with any counsel. They notify you to go to Dell but as a minimum they're email they respond with are somewhat longer as well as more efficiently written.
    4. Ok its socket 785 or whatsoever. Who requires Dell I recognize this CPU will fit it’s the identical socket. You append the cpu. No boot or not functioning appropriately. Did you perform a bios upgrade?