Thread: RAID array larger than 2TB with Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 REV1 motherboard

RAID array larger than 2TB with Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 REV1 motherboard

Recently I have upgraded my less than2TB RAID array on the way to 3 x 2TB Seagate ST32000S42AS by means of which I would like to assemble a greater than 2TB volume. The specs of my system as follows:
    • OS + RAM :Windows 2003 Server + 2GB RAM
    • Intel Rapid Storage Technology 9.6.0.1014
    • RAID BIOS 6.0.0.1022 ICH8R wRAID5
    • BIOS 965P-DS4-F12

My major problems is that I can merely appear toward utilize 2 TB of the 3.7 TB quantity. The Windows Disk Management utility automatically separated the volume keen on a 2 TB segment and the lasting 1.7 TB segment. Inside the foremost segment, I can adjoin partitions but in the second one it is not possible for me. On the other hand, what furthermore doubts me is that the RAID BIOS appears to be miserable through the 2TB drives, affirming that "incompatible". I would like to use all the memory or volume inside that. So how can I overcome this issue?

Re: RAID array larger than 2TB with Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 REV1 motherboard

The 2TB is the highest allowable volume intended for a solitary partition moreover that is what is gripping you reverse. I have observed several believed methods in the region of it but I cannot speak I have attempted them away as a result they may or else might not function. I think that the 6.2.x RAID BIOS will be helpful for this issue. Look around for it and if you find one try to install it.

The 2TB is the boundary for each disk (not for every volume) of the MBR-kind partition bench. You need to look in to the GUID partition table (GPT), which you can find in Microsoft website. But as far as I know the Windows 2000 can't exploit it. By way of Windows alone, you'd necessitate as a minimum Xp 64 bits otherwise Server 2k3 SP1. On the other hand, I interpret a rotate used for several Raid adapters barely, which can hack the ability of the Raid array inside segments and allow Windows consider these segments are actually separate HDDs. The concluding information was almost certainly commencing the producer’s website of a Raid adapter.

I presuppose you've perceived sound of MBR, also known as Master Boot Record. This is somewhat that is written on the way to a drive previous to partitions as well as the similar to. MBR has the spiteful restriction of merely distributing partitions positive to 2 TB. Not anything can be ended regarding this, presently similar to a FAT32 partition can't write down files superior than 4GB. If you're utilizing Windows Vista and later, it’s an opportunity depending resting on the circumstances. These OSs permit the formation/formatting within GPT (a latest propose) as an alternative of MBR. All over again, GPT is capable to setup simply all the way through Windows Vista otherwise later.

There is a simple procedure you should do in order to get complete access of your volume. First you necessitate to accomplish is beneath the raid control inside bios, you have to organize the complete RAID into 2 virtual disk,
    • 1 virtual disk = OS boot (small size
    • 1 virtual disk = storage (whichever size)

And then translate the second virtual disk to GTP, that’s the solitary method and single answer in the direction of this. Otherwise you should move to Linux. In that there is small solution for your issue.